• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Are Anal Fissures or Anal Cysts a Symptom of CFS or FMS?

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
I am looking for information on the connection between Anal Fissures or Anal Cysts and CFS, but I have not had any luck. My sister-in-law, who has had CFS for over 15 years, ended up in the hospital in serious condition because of an anal fissure that became infected. The infection spread to her blood and became sepsis. Now my brother-in-law has a fluid filled fissure or cyst with a hard core. They are not sure what exactly it is. He is going to go into surgery to have it removed tomorrow before it gets bigger. Has anyone ever had this problem? If so, did your doctor tell you it is related to CFS or was it a secondary bacterial or parasite infection? As far as I know, they never did figure out the source of the fissure in my sister-in-law's case.

Athene

ihateticks.me
I've had anal fissures for 20 plus years. In CFS, they come from the chronic bacterial infections in the gut infecting the rectal area and causing chronically inflamed membranes inside, and skin outside. If you have severe diarrhoea it gets worse because the area is repeatedly contaminated and then you remove further skin cells with repeated washing.

After developing significant scar tissue in that area over the years I finally got sorted out.
You need an 8 day course of the antibiotic xifaxin (doctors regard this as treatment for "travellers diarrhoea") and to apply hydrocortisone cream, as thinly as you can, the the anal area for about 2 weeks. No perfumed soaps for washing, you need to use a pH balanced (pH 4.5) medical wash based on chlorhexidine. You may need to use the hydrocortisone cream in spurts (1 week on, then 1 week of a simple antibacterial cream) and repeat the antibiotic at the start of each month for several months. Some doctors stil believe that using Hc cream for more than 3 days will damage your skin but that has now been disproven.
If you have constipation you need to deal with it using a laxative based on superabsorbent polymers (eg. Miralax). Avoid fibre and avoid lactulose or other osmotic sugar-based laxatives that help the harmful bacteria to flourish.

I hope this helps. It is a truly miserable thing to put up with.

Daffodil

i had a fissure. i dont know if it was related to CFS or not. i have some IBS too.

i would think that any cysts or infections can be related to immune system suppression...but maybe i am wrong.