The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Are all nuts high in lectins & phytic acid? other foods?

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by ebethc, Mar 20, 2015.

1. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

Hi
    I'm just learning about lectins and phytic acid; supposedly, these both inflame the gut. I'm having hard time finding a chart or list that ranks the worst offenders. In regard to high lectins & phytic acid...

1. are ALL grains bad?
    2. are ALL legumes bad?
    3. are ALL nuts & seeds bad?

thanks

2. Mij

Mij Senior Member

It seems that they are. I soak all my nuts and seeds with salt for 8hrs. This removes the bad stuff. I let them dry before I eat them. They taste sooo much better too. I also soak my legumes rice overnight.

ebethc likes this.
  3. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

how does that remove lectins & phytic acid? how much salt do you add?

4. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

ebethc likes this.
  5. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

6. Gondwanaland

I drunk a lot of almond milk until it stopped being safe :rolleyes:
    Same thing for ground flax seeds. One day it started affecting me just like gluten.
    Be sure to rotate everything your take.

ebethc likes this.
  7. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    I definitely need to read up on this since nuts mainly and some seeds are a mainstay with me right now trying to keep glucose levels in good shaped. It's working great.

8. Gondwanaland

Nuts are a huge source of oxalates and salicylates and should be eaten in moderation according to my own experience.

ebethc and Kathevans like this.
  9. Kathevans

Kathevans Senior Member

Boston, Massachusetts
    Indeed! I conscientiously soaked my nuts with sea salt overnight and roasted them for days. They were a mainstay of my diet. Over the period of a couple of years my pain issues worsened and this winter I developed chronic diarrhea. It took a while and the insight of an alert alternative doc to point toward my diet, which was disturbingly high in oxalates--beans, gluten-free oatmeal, cinnamon, Swiss chard, spinach, sweet potatoes and dark chocolate.

Yes, my gut was certainly compromised--from antibiotics to treat SIBO two years ago (and even from prior to that), so I may have been more vulnerable than some. Currently my body is still working overtime to get rid of these toxins.

Btw, pumpkin and sunflower seeds are ok, but watch out for sesame!

Gondwanaland likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.