1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

ARC (Roger Dodd) response to query about Alter paper

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by CBS, Jul 6, 2010.

1. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    On June 23, 2010, I sent a letter to Mr. Roger Dodd of the American Red Cross asking him to clarify his statement at a May 11th meeting in light of his presence at the IPFA/PEI 17th Workshop on Surveillance and Screening of Blood Borne Pathogens where Dr. Alter's presented at least portions of his now suppressed XMRV paper.

Many of you are aware of the May 11th remarks by Mr. Dodd. I thought you might find his response to my letter illuminating.

My strong response is that while I appreciate Mr. Dodd's very quick response to my e-mail (within two hours of sending my original query) and his expression of sympathy,

WE DO NOT NEED ANYONE'S SYMPATHY!

ALL WE NEED (AND ALL WE HAVE EVER ASKED FOR) IS A GOOD FAITH EFFORT, SOUND SCIENCE AND AN ABSENCE OF BUREAUCRATS COVERING THEIR OWN "BACK SIDES" (can I say "ASSES"?) AT THE EXPENSE OF PATIENTS AROUND THE GLOBE.

As for whether or not the last phrase of this statement applies to any one scientist or agency, only they know their underlying motivations.

Here is my e-mail and his response.

2. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    Excellent letter, CBS! I wish you had received an answer from Mr Dodd that directly answered your very pertinent questions. While I appreciate his sympathy, actions speak louder than words.

3. Dr. Yes

Dr. Yes Shame on You

I remember when a friend of mine worked for UNICEF, which sometimes tried to raise funds from celebs, including Sean Connery. Mr. Connery sent back a brief form letter that said "while one should have sympathy for your problem/cause, I am currently unable to assist as I am already funding several Scottish charities."
    (Slight paraphrase, but he actually did say the first half, including "problem/cause"!).

Sho it sheems that shympathy growsh on treesh.

4. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    Nice of him to reply back and so fast. Who knows if that is a response to "manage reactions" or not. i guess we will have to wait and see.

5. citybug

citybug Senior Member

NY
    What retroviruses do they consider to not cause disease? The other known human ones do, and mulvs and felv. Are they refering to endogenous genetic material, or some other animal retrovirus?

6. George

George waitin' fer rabbits

South Texas
    HTLV-2 and HIV-2 are non pathogenic.
    HTLV-1 is only pathogenic in certain genetic persons. HIV-1 is of course the retrovirus from hell. (grins)

See more popular forum discussions.