1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A disease with two faces? Re-naming ME/CFS
Persuasion Smith covers the bases on the misleading and disreputable name for our disease we've all been saddled with ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Apricot Seeds to Prevent Cancer

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Mya Symons, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Wyoming
    http://www.rawapricotseeds.com/vitamin-b17.html

It is hard not to worry about cancer when my immune system is not up to par. Also, my husband has suffered with prostatitis for a few years now, and I worry about him developing prostate cancer. Has anyone here ever tried eating a few raw apricot seeds a day to prevent cancer? If so, how did it go. Were you able to tolerate it?

2. valentinelynx

valentinelynx Senior Member

Tucson
    Remember Laetrile? Apricot pits.

Here's a quote from Wikipedia. "Since the early 1950s, a modified form of amygdalin has been promoted under the names laetrile and 'Vitamin B17' as a cancer cure, but it is not a vitamin,[3] and studies have found it to be ineffective and potentially toxic[4][5][6] as a possible cause of cyanide poisoning.[7] The promotion of laetrile to treat cancer has been described in the scientific literature as a canonical example of quackery,[8][9][10] with Irving Lerner of the University of Minnesota describing it as 'the slickest, most sophisticated, and certainly the most remunerative cancer quack promotion in medical history.'[3]"

There are many antioxidant type supplements available that may diminish cancer risk, many having stronger evidence for them than apricot pits.

3. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Wyoming
    I remember a bit about Laetrile. Was there a thread here recently? However, I wonder if it would be described so negatively by pharma and doctors if it weren't derived from a natural product and drug companies could make money off of it. Chemotherapy only cures 3% and it is also toxic.

What are the other antioxidants?

4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi Mya, I investigated laetrile while I was at university studying biochemistry. Let me give you some of the flavour of this research.

A promoter in Israel announced that large numbers of cancer patients had been cured, it was a miracle. They authorities were skeptical, and this was taken as a cover-up by proponents, who were convinced it worked. The promoter just pointed to all these cured patients.

Fast forward a year. An investigative journalist went to Israel to talk to the cancer survivors. He couldn't find any. They had all died. Of cancer. No survivors.

The drug is cyanide. Pure and simple. It doesn't matter if it comes from a natural source or not.

Bye
    Alex

5. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Wyoming
    Thanks for the info. I won't bother with this anymore.

See more popular forum discussions.