• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

apple cider vinegar

lizw118

Hi everyone
I have gotten some systemic improvement by using raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar before every meal. I just pour a tablespoon or so into a glass with some water and drink it. I have tried this before but never with raw, unfiltered ACV. I did not have the same positive response then that I am having now, so the brand and type seems to matter. I also am having a better response with apple cider vinegar than I did with HCL pills, fwiw.
I have sibo, and I believe that the fact that I have bacteria in the small intestine (where there should be no bacteria at all) points to the fact that I probably have low stomach acid. I am trying to go this route instead of probiotics (although I am still taking some).
Liz

Tristen

I've been using unfiltered organic apple cider vinegar with good olive oil on my salads almost daily for a couple years now. Not sure all that's happening in there, but my body is telling me it loves the stuff.

Very interesting that apple cider vinegar creates an alkaline environment in the GI system, whereas distilled vinegar creates an acidic one.

ukxmrv

I've not been able to tolerate ACV. Even a small amount in water starts my stomach burning and pain starts. Not sure why this is. I can tolerate betaine HCL tablets luckily and although I'm very happy for the good effect on my stomach they do nothing for the ME symptoms.

Probiotics worked well for me (digestion, bloating etc)15 years ago and then suddenly for no reason stopped. It's so strange and I just wish I had the answer.

Hope it continues for you, Liz.

lizw118

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I have had a few occasions of heartburn with the ACV. I suppose if the body doesn't tolerate it well then it might not be helping systemically, and one should try a different route. It's always trial and error...
liz