• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone who had side effects from MRI with contrast/dye?

I'm scheduled for an MRI with contrast/dye (Gadolinium based) and am wondering if any of you had any side effects? There is a debilitating disease called Nephrogenic Systemic Fibrosis (NSF) that happens after somebody with kidney disease has contrast. That's why I'm skeptical cuz I know CFS/ME messes with immune system and the immune system is also responsible for removal of dye (Gadolinium) from the body.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I'm scheduled for an MRI with contrast/dye (Gadolinium based) and am wondering if any of you had any side effects? There is a debilitating disease called Nephrogenic Systemic Fibrosis (NSF) that happens after somebody with kidney disease has contrast. That's why I'm skeptical cuz I know CFS/ME messes with immune system and the immune system is also responsible for removal of dye (Gadolinium) from the body.

A friend with ME/CFS had side effects from the dye, but I don't know which dye she had.

Sushi

Raindrop

I believe I had the dye once and there were no issues. However, last time I had an MRI I was
shaking like a LEAF when I got up and I had a horrifying sensation of being internally shaken inside
the entire time. I guess my sensitivity to motion from ME/CFS made for this. It was disturbing.
I hope you do NOt have that particular intense sensitivity. Best of luck!

Allyson

that
I believe I had the dye once and there were no issues. However, last time I had an MRI I was
shaking like a LEAF when I got up and I had a horrifying sensation of being internally shaken inside
the entire time. I guess my sensitivity to motion from ME/CFS made for this. It was disturbing.
I hope you do NOt have that particular intense sensitivity. Best of luck!

that sounds awful Raindrop !- I felt nothing at all but the noise bothered me - was it a hot day when you had yours?

Ally

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
I am fairly sensitive to medications, chemicals etc. I had an MRI with gadolinium and didn't notice any reaction. I was very ill with ME/CFS at the time, but the contrast/dye didn't seem to make me any worse. Best wishes.

Hip

This study says that nephrogenic systemic fibrosis (NSF) occurs in 4 out of every 100,000 patients receiving gadolinium.

This paper identifies the factors that increase the risk of getting NSF:
The major risk factors associated with NSF include: exposure to gadolinium-based contrast media (GBCM), high-dosage erythropoietin (EPO) therapy, elevated parathyroid hormone (PTH), hypothyroidism, and antiphospholipid antibodies. Significant vascular disease is also a risk factor.
So if you have several of the above, your risk increases.

Last edited:

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I can't have CT dye (iodine, much more common to cause problems), but I don't seem bothered by MRI dye.

However, I react to the noise and vibrations and riding on the moving table like @Raindrop does. It makes me very disoriented, much worse vision, much worse balance, much worse cognition, much worse speech issues, and I feel trembly. They can see I'm having issues (if the place is any good) and don't let me walk out without someone right on my elbow.

If I ask, I get premedication (they chose valium), which helps a little. But the noise sensitivity seemed worse than usual the next 2 days (although it was better the same day, after I got home, presumably from the valium).

The hypersensitivity increase is any other crash to me, likely to wear off.

Last edited:

Raindrop

that

that sounds awful Raindrop !- I felt nothing at all but the noise bothered me - was it a hot day when you had yours?

Ally
No, Ally, it was not a hot day. It's just that the machine DOES have a lot of movement. It bothered me
a lot, lot more this year than in prior years. My hypersensitivity is probably worse and I did have
some of the problems Willow described afterwards as well. Now I am fearful of having another MRI.
It's always something with us, isn't it?:aghhh:

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
There is now an Upright MRI n Melbourne Australia or anyone seeking one
that's cool. I couldn't find upright MRI near me.

I would still go with MRI over CT scan because I can tolerate the dye. Plus it's not radiation.

Allyson

that's cool. I couldn't find upright MRI near me.

I would still go with MRI over CT scan because I can tolerate the dye. Plus it's not radiation.

yes I think MRI s are quite safe - standing for long may be an issue ubt worth it to get results and they could re- hydrate you afterwards with IV fluids...that would prevent a crash

Ally