Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Anyone using MCT oil, if so what brand?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Bansaw, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Bansaw

Bansaw Senior Member

Which brand is good?

2. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I tried both Bulletproof and NOW. I didn't notice any differences between them and the NOW is much cheaper.

3. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

I used NuMedica MCT oil a couple of times to make bulletproof coffee. I loved the flavor, and it certainly gave me more pep which lasted longer than coffee alone, but it had a bad effect on my sleep the few times I tried it.

I also had another reaction: an extremely large bowel movement within about 45 minutes of drinking it. Ack! Sorry!!! Regular coconut oil does not have that effect on me.

ebethc likes this.
  4. Bansaw

Bansaw Senior Member

Re: sleep, did you take it in the morning? (Coffee more than anything else turns me into a zombie because of my Methylation pathway issues.) I heard MCT oil was way more powerful than coconut oil. Although I will finish off my coconut oil because of the mental benefits etc. But MCT apparently might help my energy levels and ketones.

ebethc likes this.
  5. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    My husband drinks bulletproof coffee every morning with butter and MCT oil and all kinds of weird stuff in it and I didn't realize anyone else did that!!!

I tried MCT oil a few times by NOW (both the liquid and pill versions) but my stomach could not tolerate it and it made me very sick. I don't plan to ever try it again.

ebethc likes this.
  6. undcvr

undcvr Senior Member

NYC
    There is a big catch with MCT oil for the CFS comm. It is an antiviral/fungal n yeast n at the amounts taken for the bulletproof recipe can trigger a detox in the gut, especially when taken on an empty stomach. Some of the detox reactions with mct oil are mistaken for a side effect, this isn't quite true. The carbon 8 n 10 can be used in candida infections.

The other aspect of taking it by itself on an empty stomach (try nvr to do this btw) is that it hits your bloodstream too much and too fast at the same time. Some pple get a jittery reaction even when there is not caffeine involved. Many reactions only occur when mct is taken by itself on an empty stomach.
    The bulletproof recipe of using a blender and an oil actually SLOWS DOWN the intake of the mct oil creating a smooth long lasting release that can last a good half of the day. Or just take it after your breakfast meal but take it after food or with an oil.

pamojja likes this.
  7. outdamnspot

outdamnspot Senior Member

I switched from Coconut Oil to MCT Oil in my coffee (1 tablespoon, 2x per day) a week ago .. I'm also on a Ketogenic diet. Not sure if it's a coincidence, but I've been struggling with an almost narcoleptic tiredness; my sleep schedule isn't great as is, but currently I feel almost drugged whenever I'm awake. Is it possible this could be some kind of 'die-off' related to the MCT Oil?

8. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

MCT oil gave me terrible insomnia. I used it in my coffee, too. It was energizing during the day, though.

See more popular forum discussions.