• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone using b12oils?

maddietod

You could also try fractionated coconut oil as a carrier. It stays liquid, has no smell, and is absorbed very quickly.

As to the side note about psoriasis, mine finally went away after a few months strictly dairy-free. That was a surprise!

ahmo

@Kathevans The coconut would melt as soon as it hits your skin, no? I like it because it's semi-solid, less messy than oil. But I can't imagine why any other oil wouldn't work.

Lately I've crushed the tabs, put on the oil, and applied to skin, w/o letting it sit. seems fine.

I used enough water to just cover my feet. Excellent to have a small container you can travel with. I have a drawer from a refrigerator, perfect small size, I travelled with it last year.

Thanks so much for your kind words. May we all have an excellent year.:hug:
happy-new-year-big-firework-365-new-chances-animated-gif.gif

ahmo

@Johnmac Another idea for holding on a patch of oil + B12: Find some socks made of something like terry cloth. cut off foot, and you've got a great pull-on band. You'll need a relatively small and snug sock. I've just started using my calf instead of wrist, to see if it's more convenient.

Kathevans

All right. I'm feeling a little bit thick, but when I crushed the CL 5,000mcg MeB12 with a mortar and pestle, and added 1/2 tsp of liquid coconut oil, and rubbed it into my wrist, there were still pink grainy bits of the tablet there, not dissolved. Is this a problem of not crushing enough, or perhaps not letting it soak at all?

Researching for a lower dose of AdoB12 that I might be able to titrate at lower doses, I came across another Ben Lynch product at Seeking Health: Optimal Liposomal Active B12 with L-5-MTHF - 2 oz. (In liquid form with a dropper) Optimal Liposomal Active B12 with L-5-MTHF uses only non-hydrogenated phosphatidylcholine to make up the liposomes that set this advanced delivery method apart from the rest. Each serving provides 5000 mcg of Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin), 100 mcg of Folate (as L-5-methylfolate) and 200 mg of natural phospholipid complex from non-GMO sunflower.
@http://www.seekinghealth.com/liposomal-b12.html

Gee! I wonder if this might work transdermally?! Why not, right??! At $39.95, it's less than the b-12 oils and not half-way round the globe (for some of us of course!) The reviews are great--for those taking it orally.

Just thinking...

ahmo

Hi @Kathevans . I find that I have a lot of residue from both B2 and B12. I'm putting the tablet onto my square of fabric, crushing it in place, and dropping about 1/4 - 1/2 tsp coconut oil onto it. The least messy method I've come up w/. The FMN and MB12 crush quite easily. I have to use a pestle to crush AdB12, they're much tougher, and leave more residue. But judging by my lack of symptoms, it all is absorbing.

Interesting sounding Ben Lynch product.:thumbsup:

Kathevans

I find that I have a lot of residue from both B2 and B12.

Yes, that's probably just what it is--that gunk that ends up in your mouth at the very end after all else has dissolved. so, I'll try again.

Thank you, thank you.

I spoke to someone at Seeking Health today, but after quoting me something about it "being not as effective if used topically," they're going to have to talk to someone who knows more about absorption rates and get back to me. I'd guess they've never actually done the tests and it would be up to us to do the actual testing!

Johnmac

I'm finding the Australian B12 oils way better in terms of ease of use (DIY was a pain), which makes life a lot easier when you are also using it on refractory, complaining, pill-hating family members.

My DIY method also wasn't very portable. I just spent a week flying, & by the time I'd finished my dosages were out the window, & my energy had accordingly collapsed. A few days on Greg's oils & I feel very good again.

Despite being $40 a bottle, IMO the oils probably save you money because they have so much greater penetration/uptake.

Kathevans

@Johnmac Yes, I tried the DIY approach as well and I have to say, I think @ahmo is a Saint! I had a hard time with the mashing and then the gunk on my arm.

The only thing I've been wondering about is the fact that I put the oil on in the morning--fine so far--but then take an Epsom Salts bath at night, my fairly regular routine. So, I'm washing it off. Greg said some people use it at night to get a good night's sleep, but I think it's a little too activating for me to do that. The best may be to apply after a morning shower, but that's just not my routine.

Maybe I should take an additional 1/4 or 1/2 or so of an Enzymatic in the evening. If I did that early enough that might work or help out through the night. I know ahmo has done that for calming effect if she feels wired (I think so , anyway!)

Johnmac

Kath, the gunk on the arm did my head in after a while. I'm happy to switch to the oils. They are better in several ways - one being that the gunk-on-the-arm is hassly & hard to do when travelling, so you get lower doses, then crash. Oils take seconds, & no prep.

Greg told me you could have a shower two minutes after applying the oils. They sink in pretty quick.

Many use the methyl-only oil at night, to help sleep. But we're all different.

helen1

I've given up on the DIY too. I found I went downhill on it. So am back to sublingual while waiting for my B12oils order to arrive.

Johnmac

I'm 3-4 days into the oils, & so far so good. I seem to get better penetration than with sublingual.

I'm giving the FP a rest, & trying the approach recommended by Dr Greg the oils guy - ~40 mg/day of B2 to replace the need for lots of folate. Also working well so far.

garyfritz

40 mg/day, eh? Hm. I've been taking 20mg of R-5-P. Maybe I should boost that? But I've totally cut the methyl folate and didn't have any trouble for 2 weeks (as I mentioned in the B12oils thread), so apparently I was getting enough?

Johnmac

I asked if my 30-40mg/day was enough & he said "Tons." So that's all I know. I guess you could try more, for a bit.

He said normal old B2 was fine.

Too early for me to know if I will have any folate problems - but nothing so far.

40 mg/day, eh? Hm. I've been taking 20mg of R-5-P. Maybe I should boost that? But I've totally cut the methyl folate and didn't have any trouble for 2 weeks (as I mentioned in the B12oils thread), so apparently I was getting enough?

Kathevans

I think it's less about saintliness and more that I'm stuck at home, doing little, so it's no big deal. However, I'm now looking forward to the group buy of B12 crystals, and nasal spray application.

I get it. There are weeks I have a hard time getting out of the house, myself. Or pushing myself out the door takes all day planning. I also have a book I've been trying to write (for years and years) and have been side-railed by these health issues. When I feel well and energetic and clear-minded enough to sit at the computer, I'd really like to be doing the writing, so often one more thing that takes time feels like I'm robbing myself of that other, more spiritually fulfilling (less painfully grinding) pastime.

@ahmo You are still our Pied Piper! We do follow your experiences and try them on for fit. And for the adventurer you are, we are grateful. I can't wait to read about B12 crystals transformed into nose-spray!

ahmo

In a nutshell for the elderly & infirm, @ahmo: what decided you on crystals & nasal spray as opposed to the Australian oils?
cost. That's the primary reason for my 'saintliness': If I can make DIY cheaper, I go for it. If for any reason nasal spray isn't right for me, I've still got the cheap crystals for transdermal, but looking at the experience epecially of aturtles, I feel confident about this method.

@Kathevans :hug:

Johnmac

cost. That's the primary reason for my 'saintliness': If I can make DIY cheaper, I go for it. If for any reason nasal spray isn't right for me, I've still got the cheap crystals for transdermal, but looking at the experience epecially of aturtles, I feel confident about this method.

@Kathevans :hug:

Thanks @ahmo.

Fair enough. I'm going to start a "Money" thread soon, so everyone can contribute their knowledge on how to bring supplementation costs down.

I found DIY TD effectual, but given the mess I decided to switch to the oils. Also the DIY is hard to do when travelling. (On my recent trip my levels dropped because I changed oils, & couldn't do as many doses - so my energy dropped badly.)

Finally, if you follow the B12Oils method, you don't need much folate because (according to Greg's research) high folate demand only occurs when B2 isn't in place. I can't confirm that yet, tho so far so good.