1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Anyone tried ketamine?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Jenny, May 18, 2010.

1. lawson415

lawson415

I am just learning about NMDA antagonists and I want to try some. Memantine seems to easily and cheaply available. What dose of memantine were you using? Opps- it is Agmatine that is cheaply available. Has anyone tried it?

2. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    a cheaper nmda antagonist is dextromethorphan or DMX and is a common ingredient in alot of cough medicines and has been a study showing it was helpful for fibro pain and there is talk that it can help lower benzo tolerance. I have used this and went by the dosage on the bottle which was 45 mg and it has helped with fibro type pain and seem to improve my sleep with benzo's. Its cheap and easy to get at any local pharmacy, robitusson is a common brand that carry this.

3. lawson415

lawson415

Thanks- I see cvs sells lozenges that are pure dmx- will have to check them out. thank you.

4. Rand56

Rand56 Senior Member

Myrtle Beach, SC
    I think some words of caution are warranted here if anyone is going to try DXM. Never tried it myself, but I know there are drug interactions people need to be aware of..even some regular supplements too. Maybe these interactions come with only higher doses but just in case someone decides to haphazardly take more than is needed, better to be safe than sorry. I know this info from this site is mainly for people taking it recreationally, but warnings are warnings and people need to be aware of them....

http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=309520

Drug Interactions
    • Antidepressants of any kind. MAOIs (monoamine oxidase inhibitors) are the worst; DXM + a MAOI will kill you. DXM with other antidepressants can cause serotonin syndrome, an unpleasant and occasionally fatal condition.

• Diet drugs like phentermine, fenfluramine (Redux), or phen-fen. Again, a risk of serotonin syndrome.

• Non-drowsy antihistamines (allergy medicines) like Allegra, Seldane, or Hisminal.

Here is a list of drugs that mixed with DXM can cause Serotonin Syndrome

Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)
    Tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs)
    Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (Zoloft, Prozac, Paxil,
    serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor
    Lexapro, Celexa)
    Venlafaxine (Effexor)
    Trazodone (Desyrel)
    Nefazodone (Serzone)
    Meperidine (Demerol)
    Chlorpheniramine
    Sumatriptan (Imitrex)
    Atypical antipsychotic (Zyprexa, Risperdal, Seroquel)
    L-dopa
    Meridia
    Lithium
    Valproic acid (Depakene)
    Linezolid (Zyvox)
    St John's Wort
    Ginkgo Biloba
    buspirone
    tryptophan
    montelukast(Singulair)
    kanna
    Risperidone
    Aripiprazole(Abilify)
    5-HTP
    Diphenhydramine(Benadryl)
    MDMA(Ecstasy, XTC)

Also, do not mix DXM and amphetamines. This can put alot of stress on the heart due to the combined effects of increased heart rate and blood pressure. Not to mention risk of serotonin syndrome.

DXM and LSA is also ill-advised as LSA can cause vasoconstriction, in conjunction with DXM's high blood pressure this could be unhealthy for the heart and circulatory system (Thanks BillyX).

heapsreal likes this.
  5. lawson415

lawson415

Well I am using some of the things on that list so maybe another nmda antagonist might be a good Idea. I just ordered some agmatine- 500 mg caps. Based on what I see on the weight lifter forums I was thinking of 500 mg 3x daily. Any feedback on agmatine?

See more popular forum discussions.