Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Anyone self inject or have IV Roephin (ceftrixione)

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease and Co-Infections' started by Uno, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Uno

Uno Senior Member

Brighton, United Kingdom
    Hi

I just wondered how many folks were on an IV drip of anti biotic or gets prescribed it intramuscular?

If so who organised it X

2. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London
    Yes, some years ago, through the Breakspear clinic. Had 12 weeks of it 6 days a week. Had no effect on anything, good or bad.

3. msf

msf Senior Member

Was that through the NHS too, Jenny? Were you diagnosed with Lyme by Breakspear or by the NHS?

4. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London
    No it wasn't on the NHS. At that time I had private medical insurance and the clinic took it. I don't think they do any more. I was diagnosed with Lyme and other bacterial infections by Breakspear, but I don't believe the diagnosis. In fact they have scrapped those tests now, and after I didn't respond to treatment they said I probably hadn't had Lyme in the first place! I got the impression they hadn't a clue what they were doing.

It was IV treatment by the way.

5. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

wow. IV Rocephin was the only thing that ever got rid of my SEVERE brain fog that i have had for decades!

but i could not tolerate it long

Valentijn likes this.
  6. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I tried subcutaneous Rocephin (ceftriaxone) 1000 mg once (to try to duplicate @Daffodil's experience of Rocephin eliminating the severe brain fog).

A couple of studies have found that subcutaneous administration of ceftriaxone appears to be a possible alternative (refs: 1, 2).

However, whereas ceftriaxone's bioavailability is 85% for intramuscular administration, the subcutaneous bioavailability is 39%.

So you lose roughly half your dose when taking subcutaneously, compared to intramuscularly.

See more popular forum discussions.