Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Anyone seen this article? Master Enzyme Switch Deactivated In Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyal

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by FightingCFS, Apr 23, 2015.

1. FightingCFS

FightingCFS

Read the rest of the ariticle at --http://www.wellnessresources.com/he...d_in_chronic_fatigue_syndrome_and_fibromyalg/

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2015
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

That reads like a quack advert. We have all already read the paper and discussed it. It seems a pity to describe it in this sort of promotional jargon.

Mij, aimossy, Never Give Up and 5 others like this.
  3. bertiedog

bertiedog Senior Member

South East England, UK
    @JonathanEdwards Would you mind explaining a little bit more about the basic science regarding activation of AMPK for those of us who aren't scientists!

Thanks

Pam

FightingCFS likes this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Dear Pam,
    I know very little about this enzyme other than that it is involved in basic respiratory processes. The study on cultured muscle cells is intriguing but is far too preliminary to be considered to have any relevance to clinical care. There has been a very good thread on it and others who know more about these pathways than I do have pointed out that there are some oddities about what has been found in these cells in comparison to what was found on imaging intact muscle. It is also not clear why the enzyme abnormality should persist through cell division in vitro. There are dozens of unanswered questions so the post above seems to me to be entirely inappropriate.

5. FightingCFS

FightingCFS

Sorry Jonathan its not my post I just copied and paste the article right on the post. I barely understand it myself. Can you post the thread where it was discussed?

6. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    barbc56, Bob and Valentijn like this.
  7. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

Mij, Hanna, rosie26 and 19 others like this.
  8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    ... and NO.

Hanna, Sea, snowathlete and 11 others like this.
  9. Ecoclimber

Ecoclimber Senior Member

Nooooooooooooooo:bang-head::bang-head::bang-head: Mouse models again.... Wait...did they try this on their mouse models...vigorous activity of 30 seconds of jumping jacks, standing push-ups against the wall, or partial knee bends, first? :jaw-drop:

rosie26, Mij, SDSue and 6 others like this.
  10. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Within my energy envelope ... so that would be a vigorous brushing of my teeth while sitting down with my feet up? :rolleyes: I also find it hard to take anyone seriously when they're calling it "CFS/ME".

Hanna, Mij, SDSue and 5 others like this.
  11. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Mouse torture never sounded more adorable :cat:

12. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    In spite of the problems with the article, many of the recommended supps are the same as advised by Martin Pall for scavenging peroxynitrite, which I've been having good results using.

Hanna, bertiedog, helen1 and 2 others like this.
  13. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    I've started a separate thread about the research paper that the above paragraph refers/links to.
    (I hadn't noticed the fibro research paper before):
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...endent-restoration-of-mito-dysfunction.37056/

Ecoclimber and barbc56 like this.
  14. Jonathan Edwards

So presumably the paper quoted is completely irrelevant other than as an excuse for a marketing pitch?

Valentijn and barbc56 like this.
  15. adreno

adreno PR activist

I'm vigorously browsing the forums.

Kina, Hanna, Ecoclimber and 5 others like this.
  16. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Marketing?:confused: Pall recommends a range of antioxidants. The readily available and relatively inexpensive green tea and carrots, plus resveratrol, have been a big help in reducing my experience of high peroxynitrite. I've been amazed by the amount of carrots my body has been wanting, but I feel them lessen the closed-in feeling in my head almost immediately. (Closed in, and closing-down being the best description I can manage of this experience.)

sianrecovery and Wayne like this.
  17. Kyla

Kyla ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ

Canada
    The mental picture of this rodent triathlon just made me laugh out loud
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

maybe they can give the mice some CBT while they are at it. ;)

Ecoclimber and barbc56 like this.
  18. SOC

SOC

Linda Dobberstein clearly knows jack shit about ME/CFS, especially severe ME/CFS, if she thinks we could do 30 seconds - 2 minutes of jumping jacks several times a day. :rolleyes: I can remember not so long ago when taking a shower, even sitting down, put me in bed for the rest of the day. I'm doing reasonably well for a PWME right now and 30 sec - 2 minutes of jumping jacks periodically through the day would crash me badly.

My guess is she's never seen "those severely ill with CFS" and is therefore totally clueless about how severe the illness can be.

To the chorus of "NO!" I will add --- Hell, no!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    PNR2008, rosie26, Sea and 4 others like this.
  19. Jonathan Edwards

Isn't an advert called marketing? The site is an advert - with 'shopping basket' to click. The 'article' makes no sense at all and is presumably there to increase the income of 'Dr' Dobberstein and the site company. I am all for debating these theories, but not in the context of this sort of washing powder sales pitch.

Valentijn likes this.
  20. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

I simply commented on the article as presented here.

AnnaDove and SOC like this.

See more popular forum discussions.