• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone prefer folinic acid over methylfolate?

bigmillz

Yup, i do better on folinic acid. Methylfolate just ramps up my inflammation even in small doses.
Strangely i do best on just folic acid.

After my first day on folinic, I can say I'm a huge fan too. No "crash" that I get from methylfolate's short half life, and way more energy. More of the good and less of the bad. Plus I always feel like crap taking less than 4-5mg of methylfolate, whereas I felt great (albeit a bit too much) on 3.2mg folinic.

Continuing to take TMG as well for methyl groups.

LynnJ

Yes. Both folate and folic acid killed me. Well, maybe not quite, but it felt like it at times. LOL.

Folinic acid seems to be the only form I can tolerate. It's a bit frustrating, because some folks insist folinic acid is "bad," and folate is the ONLY right option.

But...the folinic acid seems to do a lot of good for me, so...?

bigmillz

Yes. Both folate and folic acid killed me. Well, maybe not quite, but it felt like it at times. LOL.

Folinic acid seems to be the only form I can tolerate. It's a bit frustrating, because some folks insist folinic acid is "bad," and folate is the ONLY right option.

But...the folinic acid seems to do a lot of good for me, so...?

I tolerate methylfolate but folinic seems much smoother.

Having the "MAOA warrior gene" though makes it difficult to tolerate, and its longer duration seems to take a little more planning than methylfolate did.

GreenMachineX

Bump. Pretty sure I’m doing much better with folinic acid than with methylfolate. Just wish there were more multis that used only this! If anyone knows of any, all I know of is ORAC-Energy Earth Blend by Paradise Herbs and Seeking Health’s Optimal Multivitamin Minus One.