1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Brain Cells Making us Sick? The microglia connection in ME/CFS & Fibromyalgia
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, could trigger and perpetuate the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Anyone Know What the WPI are Doing About the Recently-Found MLV-Related Viruses?

Discussion in 'XMRV Testing, Treatment and Transmission' started by Hip, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Does anyone know what the Whittemore-Peterson Institute think about the MLV-related viruses found by LO et al.

I wonder when a more combined test for XMRV plus the MLV-related viruses might become available.

Perhaps people with CFS that were negative for XMRV, may turn out to have MLV-related viruses in their body. Presumably the XMRV tests are specific for XMRV, and will miss any MLV-related viruses that may be present.

Anyone have any thoughts or know more details about such a combined XMRV plus MLV-related virus test, and whether the WPI or anyone else is moving are that direction?

And anyone know what the WPI think about MLV-related viruses?
  2. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Hip, the VIP dx started testing for the Lo related MLV's when the new antibody test was announced.

Have a look on their website here

http://www.vipdx.com/

When Dr Mikovits spoke about testing the UK contingent for their split study she spoke about XMRV and the MLV's - after the Lo paper was released. She uses the term HMRV now in her talks at conferences.

Have a look here

http://forums.aboutmecfs.org/showth...CFS-Conference-Update-on-XMRV-by-Dr.-Mikovits

(UK XMRV Study
    •WPI started a study in March 2010 to look for HMRV (Human MLV Related Viruses - both X and P) in UK ME/CFS patients)
  3. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

most doctors i have spoken to think that the same drugs will likely work on both variants. i think they are still sequencing the P-variants found by Lo/Alter. They think most people will be infected with both.
  4. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Thanks very much ukxmrv. I don't know how I missed that update on the VIP dx website.

Presumably then VIP dx made changes to their test after August 23, 2010, to include both XMRV and MLV-related viruses.
  5. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Do you know if this is because an individual acquires both viruses separately, or because these MLV-related viruses will mutate/evolve into new viral variants quite quickly once they have infected a host?
  6. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

Hip..thats what i'd like to know!

mind you, there are some researchers who think that the P variants are contaminants and XMRV is still the cause. but these seem to be in the minority. even the WPI seems to be embracing the P variants.

See more popular forum discussions.