• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone know any good papers on babesia?

Dufresne

almost there...
@juniemarie

@@juniemarie , I also relate the night sweats to babs, and Bart gives me heavy head day sweats, also I don't sweat at all normally. Babs gives me a light dry cough, but it seems that I get more chest pain and also spasms of the respiratory track with what I identify as been bart flares.
And sorry, I had forgotten, the come and go heel and sole pain especially when I get up, which comes with bart flares too.

@Dufresne , thanks for the quote. Bart treatment before Babs. That's a pity, my LLMD treated Babesia first. He insisted in saying that babesia treatment was the first line to go with, according to what he learnt from Dr Horowitz. Babesia should be treated first otherwise we couldn't reach nor borrelia nor other coinfection (he said).

In the end it's all anecdotal. Whatever infection is doing the most damage is the one you go after first.

A lot of people talk about the night sweats and other pesky inconveniences, but what about the core ME/CFS symptoms? I always found it discouraging that so few people treating Lyme and co ever improved these. Yet that's what I'm experiencing. I generally don't suffer night sweats and air hunger with my babesia. Instead it oxidizes the f*#k out of my system, and this leads to brain fog, cognitive dysfunction, and I think it's complicit in my PEM. Also I'm quite sure it's a toxin the bug produces that causes a sort of CIRS reaction that absolutely messes up my terrain.

Hanna

In the end it's all anecdotal. Whatever infection is doing the most damage is the one you go after first.

A lot of people talk about the night sweats and other pesky inconveniences, but what about the core ME/CFS symptoms? I always found it discouraging that so few people treating Lyme and co ever improved these. Yet that's what I'm experiencing. I generally don't suffer night sweats and air hunger with my babesia. Instead it oxidizes the f*#k out of my system, and this leads to brain fog, cognitive dysfunction, and I think it's complicit in my PEM. Also I'm quite sure it's a toxin the bug produces that causes a sort of CIRS reaction that absolutely messes up my terrain.

One whole year of ABX for lyme and co havn't changed at all my PEMs. Though I have somewhat increased my walking daily distance, I still need my wheelchair whenever I have to leave my appartment.
My nervous system is still hyper fragile : each tiny sollicitation (physical/emotional/mental efforts but also sounds/movement) leads to PEM.
Not encouraging :(

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Hanna, google- Ty Vincent - for details of LDI for Lyme etc. He does have a long waiting list for appointments, which are expensive but the treatment isn't.

juniemarie

If you look on Ty Vincent's website he has a list of docs all over the US and some international as well, that he has trained or are using LDI. Some of them offer Skype consultations. Some are less expensive than Dr Vincent for consultation….but watch out as some are more expensive

jess100

To my knowledge there are no peer-reviewed papers supporting the treatment of babesiosis past a couple weeks or so, which is highly unlikely to eradicate the infection. You either have to find an LLMD or go your own way.

I only started making headway with the infection on chloroquine or quinine combined with primaquine. On top of this I rotate nitazoxanide with cryptolepis and sida acuta. I've had considerable success over the last couple of months on these protocols and all the drugs are affordable, unlike Mepron. Best of all you won't need a script for any of these. The herbs, however, are quite pricey when taken in higher doses.

All the online accounts of those on chloroquine and primaquine I've read have been overwhelmingly positive. It's usually those with duncani, getting no relief from standard babesia protocols, that choose this route, and I've not read a single negative report. I strongly believe this is the best way to treat the bug.

Quinine and chloroquine have produced some inconvenient side effects for me. Quinine does something funny to the ears but it goes away when you discontinue the drug, at least it did for me. Both chloroquine and quinine have given me a good case of photosensitivity, which sucks being it's the middle of summer. Yet I'm not even remotely considering giving up treatment, as it has been so beneficial.

The most informative study I've read on the subject of babesia is the following:
http://cmr.asm.org/content/13/3/451.full

Best of luck, Sian.

jess100

To my knowledge there are no peer-reviewed papers supporting the treatment of babesiosis past a couple weeks or so, which is highly unlikely to eradicate the infection. You either have to find an LLMD or go your own way.

I only started making headway with the infection on chloroquine or quinine combined with primaquine. On top of this I rotate nitazoxanide with cryptolepis and sida acuta. I've had considerable success over the last couple of months on these protocols and all the drugs are affordable, unlike Mepron. Best of all you won't need a script for any of these. The herbs, however, are quite pricey when taken in higher doses.

All the online accounts of those on chloroquine and primaquine I've read have been overwhelmingly positive. It's usually those with duncani, getting no relief from standard babesia protocols, that choose this route, and I've not read a single negative report. I strongly believe this is the best way to treat the bug.

Quinine and chloroquine have produced some inconvenient side effects for me. Quinine does something funny to the ears but it goes away when you discontinue the drug, at least it did for me. Both chloroquine and quinine have given me a good case of photosensitivity, which sucks being it's the middle of summer. Yet I'm not even remotely considering giving up treatment, as it has been so beneficial.

The most informative study I've read on the subject of babesia is the following:
http://cmr.asm.org/content/13/3/451.full

Best of luck, Sian.