1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A disease with two faces? Re-naming ME/CFS
Persuasion Smith covers the bases on the misleading and disreputable name for our disease we've all been saddled with ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Anyone in the Pridgen/Duffy study? Positive results emerging

Discussion in 'Active Clinical Studies' started by maryb, Mar 19, 2014.

1. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    What is the bet he first gave the reporter a complex technical answer, and then the reporter asked him to dumb it down?

2. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    :lol: I'll bet you're right!

NK17 likes this.
  3. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    I guess if they said nsaids reduce tnf alpha, most docs wouldnt understand it??

NK17 and ahimsa like this.
  4. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years First Do No Harm

USA
    Reporter: "Can we dumb it down to the level of a Dr. Oz show?"

(I'm not hating Dr. Oz, it just takes soooo long on that show for him to make one stupid point.)

heapsreal, barbc56 and Sushi like this.
  5. Jon_Tradicionali

Jon_Tradicionali Senior Member

Zogor-Ndreaj, Shkodër, Albania
    Study on ACV resistant strains of HSV.
    It agrees that a combination of drugs would be required to be effective against HSV:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Herpes simplex virus drug-resistance: new mutations and insights.
    Authors
    Andrei G, et al. Show all
    Journal
    Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2013 Dec;26(6):551-60. doi: 10.1097/QCO.0000000000000015.

Affiliation
    Abstract

PURPOSE OF REVIEW: Acyclovir (ACV) is the first-line treatment for the management of herpes simplex virus 1 (HSV-1) and 2 (HSV-2) diseases. Long-term administration of the drug for the treatment of chronic infections in the immunocompromised host can lead to the development of ACV-resistance. This review provides an update of the mutations linked to drug-resistance and issues to be considered in the management of HSV infections refractory to antiviral therapy.

RECENT FINDINGS: Recent data have shown that HSV drug-resistance should be taken into account not only in immunocompromised individuals but also in immunocompetent persons when HSV infections involve 'immune-privileged sites'. Thus, drug-resistance typing is recommended in cases of ACV unresponsive herpetic keratitis and herpes simplex encephalitis. Several issues regarding HSV drug-resistance were highlighted by recent studies. Phenotypic and genotypic antiviral resistance may vary not only from different compartments but also over time, highlighting the importance of characterizing longitudinal HSV isolates from all sites. Combination therapy should be considered when viruses with distinct phenotype/genotype are identified at one or at distinct body sites.

SUMMARY: Surveillance of HSV drug-resistance is highly recommended in immunocompromised patients and in immunocompetent individuals with infections implicating 'immune-privileged sites' to rationally adapt antiviral treatment.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24152761/?i=10&from=herpes chronic immune

Valentijn likes this.
  6. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

7. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

the thing is, he started as a surgeon, not a researcher.

8. Has anyone found if the results of this have come out yet? People were saying 2 weeks about 6 weeks ago, I'm very curious to see what they found.

9. ph_ph

ph_ph

Some where I found it mentioned that the Phase 2 trail results will be shared in mid november. Also read that there will be a big press conference prior to that.

10. knackers323

knackers323 Senior Member

Did they give a reason why this info wasn't released back in March/April when it was meant to be?

11. ph_ph

ph_ph

nope, I did not see any reason for why it was delayed.

12. ph_ph

ph_ph

It appears the november press release will be much more than just the trail results. There might also be more insight into the cause and other factors of the disease.

RL_sparky and alex3619 like this.
  13. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Can you say why you think this?

14. ph_ph

ph_ph

One of my friend is getting treated by him .. he shared this info.

shannah and alex3619 like this.
  15. Wally

Wally Senior Member

Interview with Carol Duffy re drug treatment for HSV-1 with Famciclivor/Celebrex (article dated 10/30/2014).

http://www.as.ua.edu/home/professor-surgeon-team-headed-to-third-phase-clinical-trials/
    "The fact that the two drugs worked better together was no surprise to Duffy. Previous research had shown that a particular family of herpes viruses increases the production of COX-2, an enzyme found in most cells whose levels rise during periods of inflammation. Celebrex, a COX-2 inhibitor, stabilizes COX-2 levels and, in doing so, causes herpes virus particles to become unstable.

“The Famvir inhibits the virus replication, so fewer virus particles are being made, and the Celebrex makes the particles unstable and not infectious,” she said. “Celebrex also inhibits reactivation, so you’re hitting the virus in three different ways.”

16. Bob

Bob

South of England
    Thanks Wally, that's very interesting.
    Unfortunately it seems that they need to find $50m-$100m for a phase 3 trial now!

17. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    Is that all. I have that in my back pocket. LOL

GG

Bob likes this.
  18. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    This is promising. I didn't realise things were as advanced as they are. Raising that sort of cash isn't easy but their is potential there even if it only works out for one or two disease groups. So are they looking specifically at ME/CFS as well or is it just Fibro and IBS?

Bob likes this.
  19. catly

catly Senior Member

outside of NYC
    Thanks @Wally for that update. So now we know the anti-viral is Famvir--humm, maybe need to ask my MD to switch my antiviral from Vatrex to Famvir???

Also, found this intersting from the article "Daniel Clauw, director of chronic pain and fatigue research at the University of Michigan and one of the world’s leading experts on fibromyalgia, joined their scientific advisory board." In light of the fact that he is presenting to the P2P panel in December.

ukxmrv and Bob like this.
  20. Bob

Bob

South of England
    That's what I was wondering. ME/CFS isn't specifically mentioned in the article, and I'm wondering why. Perhaps they are clever and realise that it's so much easier to attract funding if you don't mention ME/CFS? (i.e. it's impossible to get large amounts of funding if you mention ME/CFS!)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    josephine2, snowathlete and ukxmrv like this.

See more popular forum discussions.