1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Anyone in the Pridgen/Duffy study? Positive results emerging

Discussion in 'Active Clinical Studies' started by maryb, Mar 19, 2014.

1. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    What is the bet he first gave the reporter a complex technical answer, and then the reporter asked him to dumb it down?
  2. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    :lol: I'll bet you're right!
  3. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    I guess if they said nsaids reduce tnf alpha, most docs wouldnt understand it??
    ahimsa likes this.
  4. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Senior Member

Washington State
    Reporter: "Can we dumb it down to the level of a Dr. Oz show?"

(I'm not hating Dr. Oz, it just takes soooo long on that show for him to make one stupid point.)
    heapsreal, barbc56 and Sushi like this.
  5. Jon_Tradicionali

Jon_Tradicionali Senior Member

Zogor-Ndreaj, Shkodër, Albania
    Study on ACV resistant strains of HSV.
    It agrees that a combination of drugs would be required to be effective against HSV:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Herpes simplex virus drug-resistance: new mutations and insights.
    Authors
    Andrei G, et al. Show all
    Journal
    Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2013 Dec;26(6):551-60. doi: 10.1097/QCO.0000000000000015.

Affiliation
    Abstract

PURPOSE OF REVIEW: Acyclovir (ACV) is the first-line treatment for the management of herpes simplex virus 1 (HSV-1) and 2 (HSV-2) diseases. Long-term administration of the drug for the treatment of chronic infections in the immunocompromised host can lead to the development of ACV-resistance. This review provides an update of the mutations linked to drug-resistance and issues to be considered in the management of HSV infections refractory to antiviral therapy.

RECENT FINDINGS: Recent data have shown that HSV drug-resistance should be taken into account not only in immunocompromised individuals but also in immunocompetent persons when HSV infections involve 'immune-privileged sites'. Thus, drug-resistance typing is recommended in cases of ACV unresponsive herpetic keratitis and herpes simplex encephalitis. Several issues regarding HSV drug-resistance were highlighted by recent studies. Phenotypic and genotypic antiviral resistance may vary not only from different compartments but also over time, highlighting the importance of characterizing longitudinal HSV isolates from all sites. Combination therapy should be considered when viruses with distinct phenotype/genotype are identified at one or at distinct body sites.

SUMMARY: Surveillance of HSV drug-resistance is highly recommended in immunocompromised patients and in immunocompetent individuals with infections implicating 'immune-privileged sites' to rationally adapt antiviral treatment.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24152761/?i=10&from=herpes chronic immune
    Valentijn likes this.
  6. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

7. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

the thing is, he started as a surgeon, not a researcher.
  8. Has anyone found if the results of this have come out yet? People were saying 2 weeks about 6 weeks ago, I'm very curious to see what they found.

See more popular forum discussions.