The power and pitfalls of omics part 2: epigenomics, transcriptomics and ME/CFS
Simon McGrath concludes his blog about the remarkable Prof George Davey Smith's smart ideas for understanding diseases, which may soon be applied to ME/CFS.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Anyone improve by daily dose of coconut oil?

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by Andrew, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    I'm asking specifically about improvements in ME/CFS. Have any taken daily doses of coconut oil, and has it helped?

shannah likes this.
  2. shannah

shannah Senior Member

I was up to 9 tbsp a day and other than having difficulty digesting it and maybe gaining a few pounds, it did nothing unfortunately @Andrew

3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I took it regularly for a few months and got worse - I read that some people can have problems with some compounds in it, and I assume I was one of them. I can't remember where I saw that, but I wish I'd read it before I tried it - I'd have recognised it as the culprit for my worsening earlier.

4. Matthew Jones

Matthew Jones Senior Member

I ate tons of the stuff for a few days in a row a few times with the aim of it being a 'bowel cleans'. I (as desired) got diarehea and afterwards found I could eat gluten again. But I may have already been able to I don't know as I had not tried it for a couple of years having been severely intolerant, but I thought I'd try it again after the 'cleanse' and it turned out ok so it's possible it was the coconut oil but not certain at all. I'm now (a year later almost) still repulsed by coconut oil as it was gross. Another reason I tried it was I heard it could help with chronic lyme which I thought I might still have, I've since given up on that diagnosis and accepted CFS/ME as the diagnosis.

5. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    @Andrew - 1 -2 tablespoons a day was very effective for candida. I had a major herx reaction with the coconut oil and had to go slowly with it. But it did nothing for ME/CFS (PEM etc.)

6. aaron_c

aaron_c Senior Member

Just to balance the horror stories--I eat it daily and have for a while. I haven't noticed a difference, I just eat it because I like it as a cooking oil (lowish temperature) and I have at times been sensitive to butter.

7. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    It's only good for dry ends of my hair! (it does nothing at all else for me).

slysaint likes this.
  8. Chieftain

Chieftain

Yeah it doesn't do much. Significant quantities of it (2TBS+) alone will make me tired. I use small amounts of it to cook or lightly condition my hair though, useful for that.

9. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

Coconut oil is also terrific as a deodorant. I mix it with a little bit of baking soda. It works as well as any commercial deodorant I've ever used.

Little Bluestem likes this.
  10. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    This is high in arginine since I struggle w herpes virus hh6v is contraproductive for me ( high arginine foods bad for herpeses)

Sancar, Little Bluestem and Hanna like this.
  11. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member

Australia
    Very high in salicylates and amines, so big no no for me.

Sancar, Little Bluestem and Hanna like this.
  12. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member

Vancouver, British Columbia
    I use it for cooking but have not taken medicinal amounts of it.

13. Firefly_

Firefly_ Senior Member

Oklahoma, USA
    Use about 4-5 tablespoons of coconut milk in my coffee every day and haven't noticed any improvement from that.

14. Hanna

Hanna Senior Member

Jerusalem, Israel
    I am intolerant to the coconut oil. Tried it several times without success. Maybe because of the salicylates load.

15. Chieftain

Chieftain

How does the intolerance manifest?

16. Hanna

Hanna Senior Member

Jerusalem, Israel
    It gives me some problems with breathing (narrowing of the larynx/ dry coughs/ spasms).

17. student

student Senior Member

No - not started this regular. I do take only - some coconut irregular. Like every 3.rd day...

I look here for your experience, while: Search for the verry good fat- eating strategy. And I plan to do that part regular.
    Dr. Kuklinski – (German invironment medicin) advocats a radical low carb (an afull lot of minerals and vitamins ) diet.
    which I do not follow. He has this - fatt plus... strategie
    So I now- do take flax seed oil, more costly „irish“ butter (2 $), some coconut fatt (not so often), regular nuts... and and. (some lecitin). My urin labworks for "woodprotection" poisoning- measured high. Later - I will try more Cholstyramin detox.

18. Xisca

Xisca

Nothing specific for pain, but if a good fat, better than nothing!
    It is not inflamatory as omega 6 can be, and gives energy, it regulates my sugar intake and so my glycemia.
    I use a desodorized one, as I am fed up with the taste now, and also I think I digest it better.
    I always have some with any carb, though I also use home made clarified butter.

19. Lazy Caveman

Lazy Caveman Another lazy caveman

Yes! ~50g per day of coconut milk does help I think, (contains 10g oil). I have it on muesli, with coffee, or in curry.
    I find 1.5g fish oil, 2g flax seed, (also 1g evening primrose) plus 30g sesame tahini even better tho.
    When I'm doing those I don't much miss the coconut.

20. Lazy Caveman

Lazy Caveman Another lazy caveman

I don't think the oils help individually so much in combination with other things. Oils are #3 on my list after carrot juice and mountains of cabbage or greens, and cranberries. Pork pate is somewhere up there too. So many foods! Sorry I'm losing count...

See more popular forum discussions.