1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Knitting Equals Pleasure, Despite ME/CFS
Jody Smith loves knitting. Again. She thought her days of knitting and purling were long over but ... she's back ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Anyone here with homozygeous GAD1 genes?

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by Azrael, May 21, 2014.

1. Azrael

Azrael

Hi

I found out just recently that i have 2 homozygeous GAD1 genes as well.

Im just not sure what sort of impact it does cause there are more green GAD1 genes than red according to my report.

Is there certain GAD1 creating more implications than others?

2. Where did you get your report done. I ran my 23andMe through GG and Promethease but Never saw GAD on the lis (or NOS), so I am curious!

3. Azrael

Azrael

Hi Squid

I did Prom and one other not sure if it was GG. But to be honest I didnt want to skip some other important SNp's so I went for sterlings app over at mthfrsupport. It will cost you $20 though. I wish I did that first though, just because you miss out on a few by not doing so.

Sterlings App

Here is another link at the bottom where a guy (Eric) tells about his own gene problems - and his own SNP examples on frontpage is taken directly from his sterling app report.

I would say this, im glad i picked sterlings app cause I didnt have the full picture before.

On this page from Erics website (his own genetics) you can read about all the other SNP's you get from sterlings app.

SquidProQuo likes this.
  4. Thanks! This is fantastic. I'll see what I can find out for you about GAD too if I come across it.

5. Azrael

Azrael

Good luck to you Squid.

I have searched a bit for it too, but just found out some basic knowledge about it.

The GAD genes are responsible for conversion from glutamic acid/glutamate to GABA the wonderful calming neurotransmitter.

So if one have mutations it would results in less GABA from Glutamate, therefor a buildup of Glutamate is a possibility.

Glutamate is an excitory instead of inhibitory neurotransmitter. So over stimulation and other mental issues may arise from such an effect.

That's pretty much the important things covered. But this is all very complex and there are other reasons for GABA to be low than having issues with GAD genes.

What i do know is that persons in need of GABA can be somewhat helped by the GABA pre-cursor L-theanine which can be found in green tea as well.

helen1 likes this.
  6. kraken

kraken

I too wonder about the GAD1 gene. I'm actually heterozygous for 9 out of 11 SNPs listed from MTHFRSupport.com. Wonder if this could explain some of the anxiety which been arising more and more the last 6 years. I do wonderful on Gaba-agonists (who doesn't?) but thats not a long-term solution as down-regulation would leave you feeling even more anxious.

I definitely can attest to the high Glutamate, low Gaba. Anyone digged deeper into this? Guess it could be very beneficial for people with GAD1 mutations to supplement with something that balances this out. A bit interested in NMDA-antagonists which seems to be good for excessive glutamate signaling. I tend to do pretty good on them too.

helen1 likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael

Well 9 hetero GAD1 genes have to mean it has some impact. It's different for me, I tried some of the recommended supplements like theanine and can now safely say it wont help me get better. There's other factors that plays a part in my health.

The theanine supplements I tried had a heavy impact on me as glutamate went to the bottom and so did nor adrenaline. I have stopped using it for the time being. But very good to know it has such a big result dealing with high nor adrenaline and glutamate.

In my experience following supplements have an antagonist effect on NMDA: Taurine, Glycine, Theanine and Curcumin. I have tried all 4 for testing purposes and if you get theanine to work I think that's the best thing you can take, afterall the japanese drink green tea almost every day :)

Kraken have you tried theanine? From what I have read from other users there's not a down regulation feeling from taking theanine like there is for benzos etc. So if you have not - consider taking it on a spin.

8. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    No it doesn't. To know if there's any impact, you have to read the research regarding each SNP.

9. Azrael

Azrael

That should always be routine to further your reading if you suspect this could be a problem. Nothing sensational with that.

Kraken knows things about his own health that none of us knows about.

See more popular forum discussions.