• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone have low Aldosterone?

Misfit Toy

After having my thyroid removed my adrenal glands have completely tanked. It appears that I have low aldosterone from what I've been reading on different forums. I cannot sleep at night at all and I keep having to urinate all throughout the day and night.

I cannot sleep due to the frequent awakenings and having to urinate. Does anyone else have low aldosterone?

I don't know what to do other than to drink salt. I don't know how well I would do on Florinef and I'm nervous to introduce that.

Can anyone tell me if you've had similar symptoms?

I wish I could say I'm doing better, but I'm not. Even on an increased dose of thyroid meds, I'm doing awful.

I have low aldosterone also which is exacerbated by high mycotoxins and the two of them together blew out my ADH. It also give me irregular heartbeats at times. Licorice root is an analog for aldosterone (phytonutrient?), but it's estrogenic so you may have to balance it out with the rest of your meds (and it may be difficult for men to take long-term). It's also stimulatory so you have take it at the right time to avoid exacerbating your insomnia. You can get a script for ADH from the doc which will help with the urination and the related nasty side effects (low blood volume, screwed up electrolytes). I also take pregnenolone which precursor to all these hormones and one of the few adrenal support supplements that didn't make me feel like I was on meth. Progesterone is a little closer in the chain to aldosterone and may work better for you since you are female. All are fairly cheap and worth a try, but finding the right balance may take some trial and error. Start low and slow and build up until you find out for sure how the supplement impacts you. Oh, and a lot of salt late in the day can aggravate your insomnia also and may cause an magnesium imbalance.

Sorry things are still not going well. I think you have no choice but to experiment to try to reduce some of these symptoms. You can use the Nutreval and hormone tests from the doc to titrate these things, but the only one who can figure out the best mix for you is you because you know how you respond. Wish I had it all figured out and a better answer.

Firefly_

Mines really low, go through periods of extreme thirst and hobbling to the bathroom in the quickest possible manner lol. Dr Kaufman put me on desmopressin, it helps some. It's the same thing they give to kids that wet the bed at night so it may help your sleep.

Misfit Toy

Mines really low, go through periods of extreme thirst and hobbling to the bathroom in the quickest possible manner lol. Dr Kaufman put me on desmopressin, it helps some. It's the same thing they give to kids that wet the bed at night so it may help your sleep.

Wow, thank you.

Misfit Toy

@satori, I see him next week and I'm trying to think of tests I need done. I'm going to be tested for aldosterone, adrenals and minerals. If you have any other thoughts let me know and thank you!

Aldosterone is really hard to test because it can be effected by so many things including whether you are standing or sitting. ADH is also hard, but a little easier. Probably can test salivary adrenals and do a progesterone, pregnenolone and DHEA test to determine the overall picture and extrapolate. Desmopressin helps (I only take it at night), but ask for the pills and the spray because I think the spray may screw up your nasal passages after a while. I found that taking the pills with fiber seems to render them ineffective, but I don't know if that's just me. Good luck and hang in there.

Paralee

@Misfit Toy , have you had your calcium and parathyroid hormone checked? Sometimes people that have had their thyroid removed have parathyroid problems. I'd think about that just to check it off your list. Doesn't really sound like that kind of symptoms, though.
I get up and pee several times a night and consume salt because my salt levels are always low normal. I think I need one of those tests, too, but getting one is probably another story.

Paralee

Aldosterone is really hard to test because it can be effected by so many things including whether you are standing or sitting. ADH is also hard, but a little easier. Probably can test salivary adrenals and do a progesterone, pregnenolone and DHEA test to determine the overall picture and extrapolate. Desmopressin helps (I only take it at night), but ask for the pills and the spray because I think the spray may screw up your nasal passages after a while. I found that taking the pills with fiber seems to render them ineffective, but I don't know if that's just me. Good luck and hang in there.

@satori , pardon my memory, but what does ADH stand for?

Edit: Sorry, I found it this time, but can you get a prescription for the hormone or something that does the same thing as the hormone?

Misfit Toy

have you had your calcium and parathyroid hormone checked? Sometimes people that have had their thyroid removed have parathyroid problems. I'd think about that just to check it off your list. Doesn't really sound like that kind of symptoms, though.

I have and the calcium is fine. No parathyroid issues, but I know that is a hard road. Thank you!