• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone have hair regrowth and IBS changes after taking vitamins including B12?

Anyone have hair regrowth and IBS changes after taking vitamins including B12?
Following is a list of the other changes I have undergone since starting the vitamin regime (which also includes Zinc among others) a couple of months ago. The reason I mention the hair and IBS in the title because they are some of the most abundantly obvious changes, the IBS changed to constipation leaving me with a painful condition, and the hair, others keep tapping me on the shoulder and ask if I've had hair implants.

Psoriasis improvement (at one point I had cracked and weeping belly button, and broken skin across both eye lids – all gone completely)
Eyes are focusing on there own without going off into that "daydream focus"
sleep and concentration and alertness improvement
energy levels improved
Irritable Bowl Syndrome had changed from diarrhoea to constipation
bald head of 20 years is growing hair again (a fine coating of blonde fluff) and now growing further
stopped chronic bitting of nails of every evening
feeling of brain “fog” disappeared - can reappear quickly if doses are missed.
eyes have started to discharge overnight which I'm told is healthy.
“forgetting” to drink beer.
Stopped feeling that I'm going to die of low blood sugar each and every afternoon.
However I have also developed pain in both hips and lower back which could be due to constipation.

What would I like to achieve from here? I have heard there are new drugs out to stabilise or regulate IBS, which is now constipation. I would like to find out about this.

For anyone who didn't read my first thread, I received a load of grief from my doctor who doesn't believe in vitamin therapies and he almost ushered me out of his office. and a complaint has been raised.

helen1

I would post in Symptoms and in Treatments and Therapy. You'll likely get more responses there. Your hair growth is phenomenal by the way!

Thank you. I'd really love to find out if anyone's been on my journey through all the symptoms over the years and finally this.

whodathunkit

Coolie, seeking hair regrowth was originally why I started all this. But while I haven't really noticed any increase in hair density my hair is in better shape. I'm really excited to hear about your new fluff turning to possible terminal hairs, though! Congrats! :) :thumbsup: And it gives me hope, as well!

And even without the increase in hair density that is my fondest wish will occur one day, the benefits of doing methylation supps have been so great that I can't regret it even though I haven't achieved my original goal.

This is really great news about some of your symptoms energy, blood sugar stabilization, not jonesing for beers, etc.) not so great about others (constipation is a true bummer). Are you taking any probiotics for your gut?

Also, mind asking how old you are? If you don't want to say publicly, will you PM me? Just wondering because of the hair. Truly exciting news!

I'm 43. Thing is, I'm in the strange situation of having had some amazing results and what ever forum I find, there are many people in need of different help. I can't find anyone like me. But, because I am ONTO SOMETHING, if you know what I mean. I need to know how to sort out my digestive problems from here. My doctor is little to no help whatsoever. Had I not had these amazing results, I probably would have spent the rest of my life with runny poo and nutritional deficiency and never been on a forum.

Just as a side note to anyone else reading this, I don't even know what "methylation" means. I am not a vitamin "junkie", nor vitamin expert, just some bloke. I started Zinc because I had lost my sense of smell, which then returned, and I started B12 because of Tinnitus and so far no significant improvement. Then BANG... all these effects.

I read somewhere that being chronically low on Zinc and B12 can mimic constant dihorreah, which is what I have had for years, and now taking the supplements has fixed so many things, but left me with this awful condition of not going for days and then still having dihorrrea, painful and with blood, and uncomfortable bloating in between. Now as I said before, so may amazing effects, don't want to stop supplements that have healed my skin and had numerous neurological effects, and yet stuck with this ugly digestive condition. So, yes , I feel like celebrating for one or two days each week, then no, my guts are rumbling, all is not well in the intestines.

place

Be Strong!
Yep, but i notice it on my face. My peach fuzz is thicker in some places but not others . Unlike you, I'm not happy about it. But as I like to say: they have a laser for that!

Coolie, what vitamins, supplements do you take regularly, except B12/zinc?
Well, with daily diahareea I've had for years, I was kinda thinking I could have deficiencies and always had a pot of multivitamin "somewhere" but never took them more than once a week.
I started taking the multivitamin and mineral tablet from ALDI at the same time I started taking Zinc, to get my sense of smell back - that's when the supplementation started.
It's only after I developed Tinnitus like a spin-dryer going off in my head, enough to drive anyone insane, and from what I understand, people have committed suicide with Tinnitus this bad. This drove me to do research into causes of Tinnitus and while there are many, and many that don't work, I just thought I would give B12 a shot.
Then, only when results in other areas of skin and hair and neurological changes started occurring did I start getting excited and looked it up and discovered I need B complex to increase folates, along with the B12 and I also switched B12 to B12-methylcobalamin.
So that's the lot.

I think what I need now, if anyone can help, is advice on which forum or where to go for help with "inflamed and swollen guts"

Last edited:

place

Be Strong!
Ok, this topic has been in the back of my mind and I think my hair has changed. And I really have not noticed because I have been wearing my hair up because its been 5 months since my last hair cut. this pas week and really looking at it today. I am getting curly hair coming in the back portion of my head. My thickest part of my hair, but for the last 4 inches of new growth its curly. So what is even more weird is when my mother lost her hair for chemo, it came back curly. just some thoughts..

What's your story? A lot of the people on this part of the forum seem to be "high dosers" and I'm not sure how many had ordinary low B12 (serum) levels. Consequently I'm getting questions from people who want to resolve male pattern baldness, but this wont work for everyone (probably hardly anyone).

Having said that, even I was not officially confirmed as low on B12 because the tests were done after I was already noticing the differences of supplementation. (a bit pointless really). I will post the blood results sometime, maybe start a new thread on it.

I might also post some hair pictures to amaze!

Yep. I am female. May hair was thinning out especially at the crown and that has filled back in since getting my B12 and cofactors inline. The hairs are also much stronger than they were before. Also, I have always had completely straight hair and am now getting some waves/curls in areas. That's weird.

I can kind of tell how my 'metabolism' (mitochondrial function?) is going by how quickly the fine hairs grow on my arms and legs. I use a depilatory on them and I should get them lasered, but it's actually good feedback for me right now.

whodathunkit

@kposs, how long did it take you to see regrowth from when you started B12, how badly were you thinning, and how long were you thinning? Mind sharing?

Changes in hair texture/shape indicate changes in the follicle, I believe. In your case it sounds like good changes. Sometimes it can indicate bad changes, though. My hair kinked up a bit when I first noticed it thinning. It was like I had kinks in the middle of the hair shaft. It was weird. I'd always had great semi-wavy, semi-straight hair. Then I had a severe emotional trauma and prolonged stress. Then after about 6 months I noticed this weird kink in the middle of my hair shaft, and then it seemed to grow a bit kinky for a while. Not real kinky, just different than before. During this when I was under very heavy stress I also had to go outside to comb my hair because I would lose handsfuls of it at a time. Good thing I had so much hair to begin with or I'd be in sad shape right now.

Growth is much more normal now, although still not as healthy as when I was younger. But hope springs eternal! I'd like to hear your story. Hopefully I can get some encouragement out of it. :)

@kposs, how long did it take you to see regrowth from when you started B12, how badly were you thinning, and how long were you thinning? Mind sharing?

When I was in my teens and early twenties my hair was quite thick (and really long). In fact, I used to have a private joke with my mother where I would "complain" about how thick my hair was ;) Karma, right?

It had been thinning for many years, at least 10. I have been with the same hairsylist for 15+ years and she could tell a difference when it was thinning and as it filled back in. I started the active B12 protocol back in 2012 so it took at least several months, maybe even 6. It started as a lot of little 'baby' hairs at my hairline and all over and the thinning hasn't come back since.

shah78

Fellow B12/folate"lightweight"here. Your length of your list of symptoms relief reminds of my own. Lifetime of symptoms reversed.
For constipation see the Resistant Starch Challenge thread started by Ripley. also go to Freetheanimal.com/resistant starch. It should really help.

whodathunkit

kposs said:
When I was in my teens and early twenties my hair was quite thick (and really long). In fact, I used to have a private joke with my mother where I would "complain" about how thick my hair was ;) Karma, right?
Ha. Were we separated at birth or something? :lol:

Our stories sound similar, at least in the amount of time that we've been having a problem. So it's heartening to me to hear this. Thanks for the feedback!