Lipkin's Monster ME/CFS Study: Microbes, Immunity & Big Data
The Microbe Discovery Project outlines an ambitious new study by top researchers that has collected patient samples, but needs desperately funds to complete the work.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Anyone had Mohs micrographic surgery for basal cell carcinoma?

Discussion in 'Skeleton, Skin, Muscles, Hair, Teeth, and Nails' started by Sushi, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I will need to have this. Anyone able to report their experience with this?

Sushi

2. Kati

Kati Patient in training

i had a basal cell removed last year. It wasn't this particular procedure, but I am sure I will at some point in the future need it due to past sun dammage and anticipated basal cell.

The good news is that dermatologists know how to perform these procedures and are doing them on a very regular basis.

Sushi likes this.
  3. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Thanks @Kati. My dermatologist has referred me to skin cancer center and a dermotological surgeon so I'm sure they are good at it!

Sushi

4. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Are they doing this type of procedure due to the location of the lesion?

5. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I've seen it done.

The advantages are that they can make the wound smaller while making sure that they get all the cancer cells. So while it takes longer at the time, you leave knowing they got it all and you won't be going back in two weeks to have the margins enlarged when the biopsy comes back from the lab.

It's especially good on the face to make the wound as small as possible for healing.

beaker and Sushi like this.
  6. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Small is good! I guess the length of time it takes depends on whether they get it all on the first go.

Sushi

7. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    My partner had one. They gouged a too big hole on his head and he was very unhappy with it.

He started using frankincense oil on a few smaller ones and they actually disappeared. Just thought I would pass that along to you. I am not suggesting you do that yourself, knowing there are people here who are very adamantly against alternative treatments, just saying it was a great alternative FOR HIM to make the problem disappear.

8. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Did he have the Mohs technique?

Sushi

9. Dreambirdie

N. California
    I don't know...? I can ask him later. He's not home yet. I will let you know tomorrow.

Sushi likes this.
  10. Butydoc

Butydoc President

Hi Sushi,

Ema is on target. Moh's surgery is generally performed on the face where a person may have developed a recurrence from a previous cancer resection or the area of the cancer is a critical area like the nose, eyelid, lips and intercanthus of the eyelid. Basically, it is series of frozen sections of the cancer where they examine the specimen immediately to determine if any tumor remains at the resection margins. If tumor does remain, they know exactly where the positive margin appear. The surgeon then re-excises a small amount of tissue at that margin. This process is repeated until the margins are free of tumor. Small defects can generally be closed at that time or allowed to heal on their own. Larger defects are generally referred to a Plastic Surgeon for closure. This is usually performed at the same time as the excision if a Plastic Surgeon is available or within a 7 day period.

Best,
    Gary

beaker, MeSci, Gingergrrl and 2 others like this.
  11. Sushi

Albuquerque
    @Butydoc

Thanks so much for that explanation. It is much more detailed than what is on the Skin Cancer Center's website. Yes, it is on the edge of a nostril, so a sensitive area. Knowing about something allays concerns, so I really appreciate your post from your very knowledgeable perspective.

Sushi

Gingergrrl and Kati like this.
  12. Sushi

Albuquerque
    From their website:

13. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Best wishes @Sushi with this procedure. When are you doing it so we can post some virtual care packages and flowers for you?

14. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Thanks! It will probably take a few weeks to get an appointment. I was just told today that I was being referred.

Sushi

Gingergrrl likes this.
  15. SDSue

SDSue Southeast

Florida
    @Sushi A close friend of mine had Moh's on her nose about a year ago. She had quite a large area excised (took about 4 hours) and was closed by a plastic surgeon the same day. She had a fair amount of redness for 3 or 4 months, which gradually faded to a very faint redness. She looks fabulous and you'd never know if you didn't know.:hug:

Sushi likes this.
  16. Dreambirdie

N. California
    He doesn't know what the procedure was called. But he was very unhappy with the way it turned out.

The frankincense oil is anti-carcinogenic. He has had great results with it on other bcc. https://www.oapublishinglondon.com/article/656

17. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    Hope it all goes well, @Sushi.

Sushi likes this.
  18. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

@Sushi

Good luck with this. My sister had the same procedure and only has a very faint scar that's not that noticable.

I can't remember if her procedure was done in one session. I do remember her saying it took a long time as they check each slice of skin for cancerous cells.

She did say she wished she'd had a book or something to keep her occupied. I don't know if you can do this or if the procedure is done in a surgical suite.

When are you having this done?

We'll be thinking of you and sending healing thoughts.

Barb.

19. beaker

beaker ME/cfs 1986

USA
    I had mohs on my face. ( cheek) and regular on my leg. @Butydoc gave a very good explanation. The hard part about the MOHS is the waiting while they check the sample in the lab. Take some headphones and music for that part. I wish I had. But of course depending on where you have the basel cell you might not be able to use it. But you could think of something like that for the waiting ? Maybe ask the office. It does give peace of mind to know when you leave that they got it all and you won't have to go back.
    yes the wound then because they are exact is smaller than the other way and scarring minimal.
    I used Wise woman salve by burts bees on the scar after the stitches were out or melted I forget which.
    It is now named Burt's Bees Res-Q Ointment

It has lots of good things for scar minimizing and healing. ( I know it has also change since they were bought out but it still looks good. cocoa butter and Vit E and other good oils that are good for that healing )
    I can hardly see mine. I think only b/c I know it is there , or so I have been told.
    They had me use some ABX ointment for awhile at first and you have to keep it covered for a bit too. But they will give you all that info for dressing it. It can sting a little at first. But not bad at all.

I wish you small amount that they get at first pass. Best !

ETA: PS : don't forget to ask Santa for a nice new sunhat and some sunscreen. : )

Sushi likes this.
  20. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Thanks Barb for the well wishes. :)It isn't scheduled yet--probably sometime in January. I'll post on this thread at the time.

Sushi

See more popular forum discussions.