1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Anyone had experience with these herbs?

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by ramakentesh, Jan 9, 2012.

1. ramakentesh

ramakentesh Senior Member

has anyone got experience with any of these herbs or herbal mixes that included herbs from this list:

Dang gui buxue tang (boosts EPO production - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20723591 )
    Eucommia bark (natural betablocker and specific inhibitor of NF-kappaB activation in mast cells - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucommia )
    Butchers broom (vasoconstrictor - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11152059 )
    Dang shen Codonopsis pilosula (adaptogen - increases red blood cell count - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codonopsis_pilosula )
    Astragalus radix
    Angelica radix
    Hawthorn
    Scotch Broom
    Schisandra chinensis

thanks.
  2. xrunner

xrunner Senior Member

Only codonopsis, astragalus, hawthorn and schisandra.
  3. ramakentesh

Great - how did you find them?

Astragalus acute makes me feel slightly ill but over time it tends to make me feel good energy wise.

Dang shen was in most of the mixes of tried from TCM and ive never had it alone to indicate whether it had any beneficial actions.

hawthorn Ive never tried and I would be interested in any observations you could afford me.

Schisandra Ive also never tried but ive heard some really impressive things about this general adaptogen.

Thanks.
  4. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    astragalus seems to help during cold and flu season, so maybe some immune enhancing effects?
  5. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Wyoming
    Mountainroseherbs.com has some of the individual herbs you mention and Chineseherbsdirect.com has some of the combinations. Mountainroseherbs.com, however, usually does not sell herbs in pill form. However, I believe they sell a capsule making device and vegetarian capsules. And they sell in bulk so you could buy a pound of herb at a time.
  6. ramakentesh

thanks - Obtaining these herbs wont be a problem for me as I am working with a good friend who is a herbalist.
  7. xrunner

xrunner Senior Member

They did not help me. I did not notice any change either positive or negative.
    Regarding hawthorn I tried it two, three years ago for palpitations and a fast heartbeat but did not do much. Instead, I found Stephania T. very effective.
    The best adaptogens I tried have been ashwagandha and reishi.
    It's a question of trying and see what works for you.
  8. Sallysblooms

Sallysblooms P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!

Southern USA
    I take Astragalus every morning. I take other supplements for the immune system and overall health like Maitake D Fraction drops. I have a good line up. :D
  9. Uno

Uno Senior Member

Brighton, United Kingdom
    I take a Reishi mushroom blend with Astragalus and it does take the viral load off a bit. No magic bullet but I feel better on it than off.
  10. jstefl

jstefl Senior Member

Brookfield, Wisconsin
    I tried Hawthorn for about a year while I was having problems with low blood pressure. I noticed absolutely no benefit from it.

John
  11. SaraM

SaraM Senior Member

Tried most of them and noticed no benefit.
  12. ramakentesh

Sorry - which of those specifically have you tried? Eucommia bark as an example?
  13. SaraM

SaraM Senior Member

Astragalus, Butchers Broom, Hawthorn, .... Herbal supplements never help me. It may help others though.
  14. ramakentesh

Oh ok. thanks - Id be more curious about Eucommia bark and huperzine A at the moment, but thanks for the info.

See more popular forum discussions.