• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone had an appointment with Dr. Mensah?

I did not deal with Dr. Mensah as I found his prices to be insane. I deal with Sami Gilbert who is so much cheaper and studied under Mensah. I was not able to tolerate Zinc, P5P and B6. But...I had a thyroid issue going on which wasn't helping at all. I am too sick to restart the protocol right now as I just had a thyroidectomy and I need to get on the proper dosage of thyroid meds, but I talked to Sami last week.

I really like Sami as she didn't want to start me on anything right now, didn't want to sell me anything until my thyroidless body is more stable. She is a nice person.

I think Dr. Mensah, from what I have read, puts people on way too much stuff all at once, but I am not sure.

I can say I do not feel that pyroluria is "all of my problem" at all. I also know that methylation issues are just that, an issue. Do I think that's everything with this illness? NO.

I think there is much more to this than methylation.

@Misfit Toy I hope your thyroid issue gets better. Thank you for the reply. I posted this thread because of my story with Dr Mensah that wasn't exactly the kind of experience I was hoping for. Before my phone consult with Dr Mensah I was super excited because I had read Dr Walsh's book "Nutrient power". But during my phone consult with Dr Mensah, I couldn't trust him fully. When I asked him the difference between phone consult and actually making a physical appointment, he said in the latter case, I would be a patient and there would be far more detailed tests so they will know exactly what is going on. Now that would be okay if it was just that. But I already did couple of tests that they suggested and he was even having me put on a full supplement protocol. In other words, he had no hesitation to put me on a full supplement protocol although in his own words later he seemed to imply that my testing wasn't complete. The other thing is I didn't know how much time I had with him. After paying $430 for tests and phone consult I was hoping for more interaction, and him doing more homework on all the information I had provided to him. I just felt like I was on an assembly line. Perhaps it is just my hyper sensitivity. That is why I came around here to get second opinions on him before plunking more money.

An update. I sent out an email to Dr mensah's staff voicing some of my frustrations and compiled a list of questions I wanted to ask but couldn't. His assistant responded back and she said the Doctor was very busy but she will try to get all the answers from the Doctor and then she will also follow up with a call on Doc's recommendations for supplementation. I thought that was nice of her to respond like that. Let's see if she responds back.

@Misfit Toy
Hi! I have thoughts about consulting Sami, I see that you have before. I’m wondering did you went for any lab testing through her, what tests and how much did it cost?

Can you tell me how does it work when meeting, is it a quick follow up to see if everything goes well, how often did you meet?

I’m concerned about the costs, if it will be much more in the long run than I can afford. Do you feel you was helped working with her?

Thanks
Andreas