• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone got a good constipation remedy?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I've been taking acacia powder which has done wonders for my chronic constipation.
However now looking to reduce my carb intake more to stop feeding the gut bugs - so need something else. I do take senna max - in fact whilst I've been ill the past 2 weeks I've taken nothing else - couldn't stomach the acacia.
Can anyone help with a remedy? I've heard Triphala something..?? may be an option.
Advice appreciated.

Rand56

Cascara sagrada works great for me. Only use it occasionally when needed.

Also sodium thiosulfate mixed with a high dose of Vit C works also. Although some may be uncomfortable taking a certain amount of STS to get that effect, or people who are sulfur sensitive which I am not.

Of course I could probably use less STS and Vit. C if I didn't love cheese so much..haha

Last edited:

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Rand56
my problem is chronic so need something to take everyday. What's cheese??? been dairy free for 5yrs:(

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I have noticed a marked laxative effect from large doses of vegetable juice, say 400 ml each. Vitamin C in powder it´s in fact very laxative but it makes stools looser which is a no no for moi.

Triphala can be a great idea. It does more than just relieve constipation, it is antinflammatory, antioxidant and slightly adaptogenic, I would like to try it but I have no constipation issues and one can only take so much supplements - lol.

Rand56

@Rand56
my problem is chronic so need something to take everyday. What's cheese??? been dairy free for 5yrs:(

Ohhhh I don't know what I'd do without my fix of cheese LOL Actually been eating a bit more cheese along with higher fat dairy lately to incorporate more foods in my diet since it's been going on 3 weeks now that I cut out ALL grains. Trying to up my saturated fat intake. I believe my brain needs it :)

A far as everday...you like onions? If so, blend together 2 peeled apples and about a 1/2 of a large onion. See if that does anything for you.

Iquitos

Cascara sagrada, as mentioned above, and Vitamin C. I don't have the problem but found out by experience that there is a maximum amount of Vitamin C that one can take before it gives you the runs. Once you reach that point, you can back off the dosage until you get the right amount for you.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Read oslers web, gave me the sh-ts.
abit of humor never hurt, like theres always someone who laughs when someone drops a fart, lol.

Otherwise gets some diet chocolate/atkins bars and eat a few of them as the artificial sweetners can cause one to poo, these sweetners are also common in some laxatives too.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I suppose the liposomal vit c I take doesn't do the same - I have never taken it to bowel tolerance. Have taken 4 a day on occasions - 1 is supposed to be the equivalent of 10000mg.
Does anyone know the amound of vit c in rosehip powder?

@Rand56
I eat onions every day practically - also trying to do a nutribullet everyday. Apple, kiwi,carrot. lots of salad and veg, nadah..........

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Read oslers web, gave me the sh-ts.
abit of humor never hurt, like theres always someone who laughs when someone drops a fart, lol.

Otherwise gets some diet chocolate/atkins bars and eat a few of them as the artificial sweetners can cause one to poo, these sweetners are also common in some laxatives too.

Heaps - If laughing made me poo - I wouldn't be constipated:D

diet chocolate - eeek at £2 a bar - tried that - I need one every day. its the zylitol I think. haven't seen the laxatives but you know for chronic stuff I really wanted something more holistic.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Heaps - If laughing made me poo - I wouldn't be constipated:D

diet chocolate - eeek at £2 a bar - tried that - I need one every day. its the zylitol I think. haven't seen the laxatives but you know for chronic stuff I really wanted something more holistic.

I guess its an idea for when your really stuck.
the other thing i find that makes me regular is i make biscuits with almond meal, i make them low carb with artificial sweetner. A few of those every day wouldnt hurt??

I must have a gut and bowel like superman cause im on tramadol for back pain and use codeine somewhat regularly for headaches and both suppose to clogg u up but me, i crap like a trooper:D

Jenny

After trying a lot of things, the only ones that work are lactulose and syrup of figs.

Plum

If you can't eat a load of veges then either get fibre fro, things like psyllium or try something to relax your bowel like magnesium. Make sure you aren't dehydrated too.

Triphala and slippery elm work well for some.

Probiotics and FOS depending on the state of your bowel - too much FOS can cause painful wind.

All depends on why yr constipated?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Thanks everyone - I take a lot of magnesium, and drink tons of water so know I'm not hydrated. Eat tons of veg - I have never been able to take vitamin c to bowel tolerance ie. I simply never went - 20 x 1000mg tablets and as I said I've taken 4 liposomal vit c a day and they're supposedly equal to 10000mg each sachet. I do have diverticulitus so???? I may try the Triphala - like I said just want something to reduce the carb load
@heapsreal

"I must have a gut and bowel like superman cause im on tramadol for back pain and use codeine somewhat regularly for headaches and both suppose to clogg u up but me, i crap like a trooper:D"

No you're just a typical man!!!:D

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
What helps me is my diet. Because of my IBS certain things just stop everything. Red meat is one, also dairy, although that is not a problem for you.

I have found that high fiber foods, those that would help someone with a "normal" gut go, have the reverse effect on me. When I'm miserable I eat foods that are soluble fiber. For me that is white flour. Breads with whole wheat kill me too. It's crazy.

I also have to be really careful with fruits. The skins block up the works.

I don't think you are supposed to take senna every day or your sphincter loses the ability to move things on its own.

Plum

Wish I could poop on codeine - I hate that stuff!

Sounds like you have a lazy bowel @maryb - perhaps an add on to diverticulitis? Do you eat a lot of veg for most people or for you?

I have to eat twice as much as my partner to get a decent daily movement!

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Plum
well I eat veg twice a day, I have gluten free toast for breakfast and the next 2 meals veg and protein. Much more than anyone else I know but???? I've always had a 'lazy bowel' even pre ME I didn't 'go' much. Its not a bother when you're well though is it?
@minkeygirl
I do peel apples and carrots so don't do much skin on fruit, just had a couple of weeks of plums with skin on but I was taking senna every day anyway so don't know if it affects me. I know senna isn't good long term as it stops your bowel from working normally itself hence the 'urgent need' (no pun) to find a replacement for the acacia powder.:)

Last edited:

Plum

@maryb - I have salad with my breakfast, 2 veg for lunch (1/2 plate) with some salad and 3 veg (1/2 plate) for dinner. I have in the past eaten more than this and then I go like a choo choo train :)

I think with lazy bowel you have to massively increase things. My Dad used to eat 15 oranges in the afternoons just so he'd go the next day - and that's on top of the usual meat and 2 veg etc.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Plum
Part of the problem is I have a lot of food intolerances as well so a limit as to what I can have. I get so fed up with the restrictions buy hey..... a physio I saw a couple of years ago said it was only my diet keeping me upright.