1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Cognitive testing causes mental exhaustion lasting days
Simon McGrath takes a brief look at a recent paper that reveals some of the most powerful evidence of cognitive problems in people with ME/CFS to date...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

anyone get muscle pain from melatonin?

Discussion in 'Sleep' started by mike1127, Aug 1, 2013.

1. mike1127

mike1127

The last time I tried melatonin, several years ago, I woke up with severe muscle pain. (Actually I usually have severe muscle pain, but this was much worse.) Any ideas why this could be, or what I could try instead?

Mike
  2. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    How much were you taking ? I started on 1mg at night and am now taking only 1/2 tablet each night. I haven't noticed any increase in muscle pain while taking melatonin.
  3. mike1127

mike1127

I don't remember for sure, but I think I had 3 mg tablets, and I took 1/2 or a whole tablet.
  4. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    Did it help your sleep ?
  5. mike1127

mike1127

It didn't help noticeably. At the time I had a number of other things interfering with my sleep which have since improved, so maybe it's worth trying again. The major improvement is that I take Neurontin which cures my restless legs syndrome.
  6. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    Perhaps it's worth trying again, but start out on a lower dose of 1mg or 1/2mg.

I don't know anything about Neurontin, so you should check first about interactions before starting melatonin.
  7. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    I changed to a different brand of relayed release 3mg tablets and the side effects I had before (grogginess, almost a depression like a constant lower mood, brainfog) disappeared straight away.
  8. mike1127

mike1127

what brand did you switch to?
  9. Purple

Purple Bundle of purpliness

Hi Mike,

My experience with melatonin has been mixed. For a while, it helped greatly with sleep but as my ME progressed, it was no longer helping with sleep and eventually it gave me not only a groggy feeling (without actually sleeping) but also within about an hour of taking it my bodywide pain would increase greatly and I would be breathless and brainfogged to the point of being zombified. My own theory (which could be completely wrong, so please bear this in mind) is that melatonin being a hormone with which other hormones interact meant that this was a reaction caused by many hormones being out of sync. I have not changed brands/dosages during this time period and am not particularly sensitive to chemicals or drugs (unless feeling very ill in general) so I think this was due to the fact that as the disease progressed, the hormonal and chemical imbalances have changed and adding melatonin to this mix was causing a havoc. As I said, this is my own lay-person theory and observation :)
  10. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London

See more popular forum discussions.