May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Anyone get high blood pressure on Valtrex?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by 2Cor.12:9, Nov 5, 2017.

1. 2Cor.12:9

2Cor.12:9 Senior Member

Hi all. I've been on generic Valtrex for a month (500 mg twice daily) and my blood pressure has gone up. I normally have borderline hypertension but it's been around 155/90 in the evening when I check it. It fluctuates a lot. But it then also back goes back down to normal (117/72 - or there about). by morning.

Anyone else experience this?

2. Learner1

Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

Pacific Northwest
    My blood pressure varies within the same range. It varies especially with lying down, sitting, or standing. We think it's due to adrenergic antibodies and MCAS.

I take telmisartan and a natural product, Carditone by Ayush Herbs.

2Cor.12:9 likes this.
  3. IThinkImTurningJapanese

IThinkImTurningJapanese Moderator

Japan
    That is one powerful herb.

Rauwolfia in the Treatment of Hypertension

4. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    No, I've only had my "normal" POTS problems but no worse since Valtrex (am on same dose)

5. Learner1

Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

Pacific Northwest
    It is. The problem is they were using enormous doses of it. Too much of anything (water, sodium, folate) can be bad.

6. SueJohnPat

SueJohnPat Sue

Medford NJ
    I was on valtrex with Celebrex. After 6 months my bp was high. I assumed it was the Celebrex.

Having a flare up again getting more valtrex on Wednesday. Bp now normal .

Will let you know if my bp rises but to the best of my knowledge valtrex should not raise bp.

2Cor.12:9 and Learner1 like this.
  7. 2Cor.12:9

Thanks @SueJohnPat - I take Alieve and Curcumin in place of Celebrex - I've wondered if it's the Alieve affecting my bp, since it is known to do that.

8. SueJohnPat

SueJohnPat Sue

Medford NJ
    Alleve could do this. I only intermittently take Celebrex and valtrex due to cardiovascular side effects of celebrex( NSAID’s I am 53) you could try stopping the alleve and see if it goes down.

2Cor.12:9 likes this.
  9. toolongtotell

toolongtotell

I’ve been on 2 g of valtrex since November and my bp has risen to 168/98 most of the time. I now take amlodipine and it helps the hypertension. I never thought of valtrex being the culprit. Have you found any medical research backing this? Thank you.

10. 2Cor.12:9

@toolongtotell - There are websites that say high blood pressure with valtrex can be a rare side effect - like Webmd for instance.
    https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-14126/valtrex-oral/details/list-sideeffects

I stopped taking it and also stopped the Alieve due to palpitations and blood pressure. I quit the Alieve first but the palps and chest discomfort continued until I quit the AV. I was on it for 4 months and the only improvement I noticed was not having herpes outbreaks. It wasn't worth the cardiac side effects - especially since I'm in my late 60's.

Good luck to you!

See more popular forum discussions.