Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Anyone get high blood pressure on Valtrex?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by 2Cor.12:9, Nov 5, 2017.

1. 2Cor.12:9

2Cor.12:9 Senior Member

Hi all. I've been on generic Valtrex for a month (500 mg twice daily) and my blood pressure has gone up. I normally have borderline hypertension but it's been around 155/90 in the evening when I check it. It fluctuates a lot. But it then also back goes back down to normal (117/72 - or there about). by morning.

Anyone else experience this?

2. Learner1

Learner1 Professional Patient

Pacific Northwest
    My blood pressure varies within the same range. It varies especially with lying down, sitting, or standing. We think it's due to adrenergic antibodies and MCAS.

I take telmisartan and a natural product, Carditone by Ayush Herbs.

2Cor.12:9 likes this.
  3. IThinkImTurningJapanese

IThinkImTurningJapanese Senior Member

Japan
    That is one powerful herb.

Rauwolfia in the Treatment of Hypertension

4. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    No, I've only had my "normal" POTS problems but no worse since Valtrex (am on same dose)

5. Learner1

Learner1 Professional Patient

Pacific Northwest
    It is. The problem is they were using enormous doses of it. Too much of anything (water, sodium, folate) can be bad.

6. SueJohnPat

SueJohnPat Sue

Medford NJ
    I was on valtrex with Celebrex. After 6 months my bp was high. I assumed it was the Celebrex.

Having a flare up again getting more valtrex on Wednesday. Bp now normal .

Will let you know if my bp rises but to the best of my knowledge valtrex should not raise bp.

2Cor.12:9 and Learner1 like this.
  7. 2Cor.12:9

2Cor.12:9 Senior Member

Thanks @SueJohnPat - I take Alieve and Curcumin in place of Celebrex - I've wondered if it's the Alieve affecting my bp, since it is known to do that.

8. SueJohnPat

SueJohnPat Sue

Medford NJ
    Alleve could do this. I only intermittently take Celebrex and valtrex due to cardiovascular side effects of celebrex( NSAID’s I am 53) you could try stopping the alleve and see if it goes down.

2Cor.12:9 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.