• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone feel a little better at night?

TakMak

Coughs and sneezles spread diseasels
I think I'm at my best around lunchtime. I'm less tired in the early mornings but have more pain. All symptoms seem to improve up to about midday but then slowly get worse throughout the afternoon. There's often a sudden worsening at around 7pm to 8pm. By 9pm I improve somewhat but by 10-30pm I am so sleepy and worn out I have to go to bed.

It doesn't seem to make too much difference when I eat but big meals in the evening tend to leave me very uncomfortable and pretty much ensure gastric reflux during the night.

dannybex

It would also be interesting to know why this happens. Could have something to do with cortisol?
That's my understanding. Some sort of pituitary-adrenal dysregulation. Higher cortisol at night, not enough in the morning.

A 24-hour salivary cortisol test will tell you what your levels are at four different times of the day...I believe morning, noon, 4pm and midnight?

But of course there could be other factors as well...

Jessie 107

That's my understanding. Some sort of pituitary-adrenal dysregulation. Higher cortisol at night, not enough in the morning.

A 24-hour salivary cortisol test will tell you what your levels are at four different times of the day...I believe morning, noon, 4pm and midnight?

Yep, I too start to feel much better in the evenings, I then convince myself that I will be ok the next day too, but not the case, come the next morning and I feel like crap again.

soti

I feel better at night the same way and with my fitbit I notice that it corresponds to a drop in heart rate. Interestingly when I am a bit jetlagged traveling east I also feed good in this way for a couple of days, until I don't.

Mij

Something seems to 'reset' when I'm sleeping so that when I wake up I'm back to square one. I do feel as though I get refreshing sleep though, except since menopause but that's a different issue.

BeautifulDay

I'm a morning person. My energy is highest when I wake-up. I can get energy bump after a lay-down, but it's never as high energy as the morning energy. If I'm low energy in the morning, I mine as well go back to bed for the rest of the day -- because by evening I'll be crawling up the steps.

I do get a pick me up from the occasional evening glass of wine though. :redface: Something to do with the sugar.

PeterPositive

Something seems to 'reset' when I'm sleeping so that when I wake up I'm back to square one.
Exactly. In fact if I break the sleep cycle by going to bed very late (e.g. after 3:00am) then the "reset" doesn't happen, or it does only partially. I usually wake up tired but not with the kind of malaise and weakness I get in the morning.

Goes without saying that if I do that more than once (going to bed that late) in a row I'll be kaput for days, unable to string two thoughts together.

I sure do! I get completely drained by around 3pm and unable to think straight let alone do anything. At this point I usually crash on the couch...until around 8:30-9:00pm when I seem to improve and get my second wind. Then I either crash around 11pm or can't sleep until around 3am. This sure makes the next day interesting to say the least!

unicorn7

Mornings are good. My morning does start a bit late though:rofl:

Between 15.00-16.00 I start to feel exausted, I often take a nap or lie on the couch.

I start to feel a lot better around 19.00-20.00 and when I have a lot of energy in the evening, I don't want to go to sleep, so I have to watch out I don't get to bed later and later every day.

Of course, It has something to do with cortisol etc, but I also think that my posture muscles (which should run completely on aerobic fuel) are forced in too much anaerobic-mode and therefore get tired and sore a lot quicker. Sitting up costs a lot of energy and my neck, shoulder and belly muscles get tired and a bit sore. Lying down in the middle of the day really helps with that.

snowathlete

I sure do! I get completely drained by around 3pm and unable to think straight let alone do anything. At this point I usually crash on the couch...until around 8:30-9:00pm when I seem to improve and get my second wind. Then I either crash around 11pm or can't sleep until around 3am. This sure makes the next day interesting to say the least!

Interesting. Earlier in my illness, in the first say three years, I used to get a massive slump at 2 or 3pm, every day. It was quite weird. That seems to have disappeared and it's more even nowadays.

TigerLilea

I'm a morning person. My energy is highest when I wake-up. I can get energy bump after a lay-down, but it's never as high energy as the morning energy. If I'm low energy in the morning, I mine as well go back to bed for the rest of the day -- because by evening I'll be crawling up the steps.

I do get a pick me up from the occasional evening glass of wine though. :redface: Something to do with the sugar.
It takes me about an hour or so to really get moving, but morning until the early afternoon is my best time, also.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Lately I’ve realised that at night I somewhat feel a little better than what I did throughout the entire daytime. My neurological fatigue has improved and I just feel in general, a little better.

Anyone else have this?
Yes, I usually do, but only if my wind has cleared! It varies.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I am curious how many of us are morning vs evening people, i mean before coming down with ME/CFS compared to afterward.