• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone feel a little better at night?

Wonko

Yes and no, for years I had an hour or so late night (11PM ish) when my brain worked a lot better and I was physically a little more capable. I'm not sure I actually felt better, in fact I'd say not, that was the time I would notice I'd been in pain forever etc. - but it was the time I got things done.

Doesn't happen so much these days, generally I'm wiped out before my brain would pick up and that stops it dead. the closest I get is the period a few hours after taking opiates, largely background pain free, but still a fair amount of surface pain if I have the audacity to move, and of course neuropathic pain which opiates don't touch, but I sometimes feel okay, wiped but okay, for a while, if I've taken the right amount.

Of course they stop me sleeping, and being able to get to sleep is the reason I take them, so...not a total win.

Orla

Yes, sometimes I can be wiped all day but pick up at 11pm or thereabouts. It is weird. Often my best time for concetrating on this is between about 11pm and 1am. It is a bit annoying though as I would rather I was winding down then.

Sandman00747

I always feel so much better at night. I can almost feel normal, not quite, but much better. However, upon awakening each morning I can't begin to put into words how incredibly badly I feel. It's almost so bad I can't make it up but somehow I always do and wonder how I could have felt so much better before sleeping for 4-5 hours. That's the most sleep I can ever get which I know is pathetic. Yes, give me the night time anytime!

Murph

:)
I had my suspicions but it wasn't til I kept a diary of symptom strength that broke the day down into 3 parts (morning, arvo, night) that I could see the strength of the association. Night is best. Afternoon worst.

Diwi9

Administrator
Yes, even during my worst crashes, I experienced some reprieve in the evenings. However, as my condition worsened over time, the later in the day that the moment of grace prevailed (started at 11:00 am, then moved to 1:00 pm, then 3/4 pm...the latest was 5/6 pm). Now that I'm better, I have a rough hour or two upon waking in the morning (tired and with some brain fog), and am pretty much good to go after that.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Something i just realized, i get very thirsty in the evenings when i want to drink the least so i can sleep the whole night

dannybex

It would be great to do a poll on this. I have a feeling a majority feel better later in the day or at night. In our local support group there are about 25-30 members, and in past meetings I would say 3/4 felt "better" after 5pm or so, myself included (here, up at 1:35am).

PeterPositive

Yes indeed. After 9pm especially. It seems like my adrenals wake up at 7-8pm.
Best booster ever is a having the flu (without high fever) after 9pm. I can almost feel semi-normal with that combo.

NelliePledge

Yes. Early Mornings are absolutely my worst time. From around 10.30 fog/pain reduces. Physical energy starts to be there usually a bit later around lunchtime. Physical energy best 2-6. But I feel most alert mentally in the evening. And I struggle to sleep before 1.30/2 unless I'm sleep deprived from being awake most of the previous night...........

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
Yep! Morning is usually in the middle, then mid-day the worst. As the evening comes on I start weight lifting and embarking on 60 km runs

No, but I do feel less shit like the others here

snowathlete

Lately I’ve realised that at night I somewhat feel a little better than what I did throughout the entire daytime. My neurological fatigue has improved and I just feel in general, a little better.

Anyone else have this?

Yes, I function better in the evening now. It is one of the reasons I think why I struggle with my sleep cycle because I am always tempted to stay up late as I have a clearer head rather than go to bed at a sensible time. I think there are one or two other threads on the forum about it and some people may have suggested some reasons why, but I can't remember the details. Maybe I'll have better look remembering this evening.