• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone experience tremors on B12 startup???

Hi, I've started the Freddd's Methylation stack, taking methylfolate 800mcg, adenosyl-b12 (2mg), methyl-b12 (1mg) sublingual. I also take a good multivitamin that contains L-MTHF and no folate (pure encap. ultranutrient 950). And a high dose of D3 (5000IU) since mine was measured low along with B12.

I've started to experience a constant tremor in my hands that really disturb me, mainly in the evening.

Has anyone experienced this? Is this a startup effect?

Idie

Oh my yes. I had tremors for several months when I started the protocol and my hands were the worst. All of those tremors went away but it took a while. I too had low Vitamin D. I was a mess. I've had a ton of improvement on the protocol.

Idie, thank you SO MUCH for your response. You have no clue how freaked out I was. I immediately downed a bunch of Potassium, trying anything I could to reduce it. I was haunted with ideas that I might have Parkinson's or something even worse!!!!

Really? Months??? It kept me up most of the night being so freaked out!

Any clue why flooding with B12 would trigger Tremors? You'd think, if anything, it would reduce them by feeding the nerves! Did you find a way to reduce them when they occured?

Marlène

hi

I looked like a parkinson patient when I started adenosyl B12

Try to switch to Rich von Konynenburg's protocol for a few months first

* 2000mcg hydroxycobalamin
* 200mcg 5-MTHF ("methylfolate")
* 200mcg folinic acid (aka 5-formyl-THF)

Adenosyl kickstarts the mitochondria in the muscles right away which is too much in the beginning for many of us.

When you feel better after 6 months or so, you can add a crumb of methyl as well and slowly increase the dose.

Then later when you feel the right balance, you can add adenosyl or skipp the hydroxy and/or methyl.

Idie

My view of the tremors was that my methylation cycle was kick started. The tremors kept me up at night and it freaked me out too. I talked to Fredd about it and he talked me through it. I stayed the course and sure enough they eventually went away. A researcher friend told me that when the nervous system wakes up the nerves can be very cranky as well. For me, I had tremors and immensely increased tingling. My hands ached every morning too.

Thank you again, Idie and Marlene. Being a man, i'm more of a "power through" type, so I'll just fight through this if its just a well known side effect and not permanent. I'm scared to move to Rich's protocol, as Freddd has scared me that the short term relief is actually long term loss by moving to the wrong kinds of folate + b12.

Oddly, I hadn't connected the symptoms to the adenosyl-b12, since I took all supplements at the same time. But, I've stopped the adenosyl now and the tremors have subsided mostly, so I think you are exactly right. Am I losing some benefits though by leaving it out?

Marlène

Thank you again, Idie and Marlene. Being a man, i'm more of a "power through" type, so I'll just fight through this if its just a well known side effect and not permanent. I'm scared to move to Rich's protocol, as Freddd has scared me that the short term relief is actually long term loss by moving to the wrong kinds of folate + b12.

Oddly, I hadn't connected the symptoms to the adenosyl-b12, since I took all supplements at the same time. But, I've stopped the adenosyl now and the tremors have subsided mostly, so I think you are exactly right. Am I losing some benefits though by leaving it out?

Just replace the adenosyl by methyl or hydroxyB12 in a lower dose. No need to push through. You can always add adenosyl in a later stage.
I tried Freddd's protocol too for a few months and I'm feeling much more comfortable and improving with Rich's protocol.

I came across some interesting studies on methylation (mainly SAMe) and tremors:

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02815143?LI=true

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0024320508003780

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0091305799002208

Apparently SAMe is injected into rat's brains to produce parkinson like tremors? And methylation in the brain is increased as you age? I would have thought the opposite.

Is it possible that the adenosyl in adenosyl-b12 acts like the s-adenosyl in SAMe? I also remembered taking SAMe a while back and also had extreme tremors. Much worse than the adenosyl-b12 now that I remember, but these are pretty awful too.

Marlene, I'm going to take your advice and lay off the adenosyl for a while. I wish I understood enough to know what I might miss out on by avoiding it from the methylation stack.

And perhaps I do need to do a methylation panel to make sure I am not "overmethylating" or something? Any recommendations on the proper test to request from my doctor from the proper lab?

Marlène

hi

there are several forms of vit B12 and by leaving out adenosylB12 for the moment but replacing it with hydroxy and/or methylB12, you will make an excellent start to lift the partial methylation block. Remember, you can always add adenosyl later.
Have a look at dr Yasko's site to understand the link with SAMe.

Methylation and MTHFR Defects presented by Benjamin Lynch, ND

Protocol rich von Konynenburg
* 2000mcg hydroxylcobalamin
* 200mcg 5-MTHF ("methylfolate")
* 200mcg folinic acid (aka 5-formyl-THF)
* (in addition to the lecithin and baseline multivitamin)

Dr Yasko
http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm#CBS:  Cystathionine Beta Synthase
There is an outstanding picture included as well

Methylation fora
http://www.ch3nutrigenomics.com/phpBB2/welcome.html

Marlène

I did a methylation test in the Netherlands at ELN laboratories. Don't know where you live.
If your budget is tight, keep your money for more important tests.
The fact that you suffered tremors, is a serious indication you are deficient in B12.