• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone else with multi-day symptom cycle?

Aerowallah

As we all do, I keep thinking something's missing. We speak of diurnal cycles of hormones etc but what about a multi-day cycle? Anyone experiencing them?

I have kept a half-assed log since onset of AF symptoms in 2013. All I've consistently learned is that I have a 4,5 6 or 7 day "ON" cycle"...followed by a 4,5,6 or 7 day "OFF" cycle.

On the "ON" days I have the worst degree of all my usual symptoms--

weakness, weakness, weakness
flu aches and pains hands and feet (my only pain)
fractured sleep from 4am on
tinnitus
weepy emotionality
skin breakouts
bad breath
extreme difficulty holding coffee enemas

Then the cycle "breaks". Everything goes into remission--except weakness--which is much reduced. Some hand/foot achiness upon waking but this goes away with a shot of Trace Minerals and breakfast. This good cycle lasts 4-7 days. Then back to the "bad" cycle.

3-months into trying to heal AF I developed crippling insomnia, sometimes 3 all-nighters in a row. From baseline, glutamate had become elevated, histamines lowered.

Same 4-7 day cycle pertained!

4,5 ,6 7 days of godawful insomnia until I was ready for a nuthouse and then it broke. Slept brilliantly the first night of off cycle, then well, then, good and then 4-7 days of insomnia ratcheted up again.

With CEs and magnesium bad insomnia is a thing of the past. But same cycle ON and OFF is apparent but at lower, SLOWLY DIMINISHING level of severity. Should add any methylation supps Bs or D3 and the bad cycle amps up.

Is this cycle trying to teach me something? Something I've missed? Do you have anything similar? A series of worse days followed by a series of better days that keeps repeating and repeating? Definitely something more than "random" good and bad days.

Biggest question -- COULD THIS BE METAL DETOX? I know we detox daily but does the body do heavy metal lifting in a cycle to minimize stress?

Also, can metal detox kick in and literally go on for years once we de-stress and clean up our diets? I am on NO chelation protocols. Again, above symptoms worsen if I do. That goes double for probiotics!

Many thanks for reading this.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Yes, multi-day cycles are common. They vary, from very faint symptoms lasting about a day, to bad symptoms lasting several days or more, within the same person at different times. They are commonly similar for a while.

After 22 years, I am currently in no-man's land - no idea whether I'm coming to the end of the illness or coming to the end...

Hope this makes sense.

Aerowallah

Yes, thanks. But WHAT is that cycle? What is the body doing with this ON / OFF pattern? What part of the body governs it and can we influence that cycle?

Is there a longer-term detox cycle than the 12-hour shift I have read about (3pm to 3 am)?

We spend a lot of time talking about cortisol curves, because we have an "inexpensive" test that gives us that.

But I have a longer cycle -- independent of everything I know -- that affects ALL my AF symptoms.

Do adrenal hormones follow a multi-day cycle? Any metabolic functions?

Last edited: