• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone else with a clearly identifiable trigger?

CantThink

If it was the old one, that was less specific than the new one , I think. Yersinosis is caused by Yersinia Enterocolitica and Pseudotuberculosis, and the typical manifestations are gastroenteritis and reactive arthritis.

Really interesting. Especially the reactive arthritis.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I was in a long remission (8-10 years) when I had measles 7 years ago and relapsed seriously and have never recovered

msf

I know, the second takes a while to develop, and the first isn't very severe (I was in Vietnam at the time, so it was easy to ignore this). The abdominal pain (which is much more noticeable) is supposed to occur in some cases of Mono.

halcyon

Halycon, I don't know much about enteroviruses, are there any specific symptoms, and did you have any of these?
It started as a relatively mild but protracted upper respiratory infection which was followed by severe vomiting and diarrhea. A few weeks later I started developing muscle twitching and cramping and a weird twinge in my chest. A few weeks after that I developed vestibular neuritis. A few weeks after that I ended up in the ER with a highly elevated WBC count and my BP/HR going crazy, feeling like I was dying. I've had a large number of the symptoms listed here since it started.

msf

I had the same symptoms, minus the vomiting. I don't know what vestibular neuritis is, but I seemed to have some sort of polyradiculitis for a few weeks.

halcyon

I had the same symptoms, minus the vomiting. I don't know what vestibular neuritis is, but I seemed to have some sort of polyradiculitis for a few weeks.
It's a dysfunction of the vestibular system causing vertigo, dizziness, and disequilibrium.

Do you still have any of these symptoms? If you're in the US I can give you the proper test codes for your doctor to order from LabCorp to check coxsackie B and echovirus titers.

msf

Thanks, but I'm not in the US, and I think most, if not all, of my symptoms are attributable the Yersinia infection.

Seven7

Seven
I don;t remember mine, was slow progress but the first thing in my records when I went back and checked was a hepatitis B vaccine, I don;t know why they gave it to me nor I remember getting it. But all symptoms started a few months after that.

SOC

Absolutely. Daughter and I had the same very sudden onset (fine one hour, miserable 2 hrs later) flu-like illness with exhaustion, severe flu-like muscle aches, and clear cognitive dysfunction within hours. Doctor said, "It's just the flu. Go home. Rest and drink lots of fluid." So no testing was done, even after I didn't recover within a couple weeks. Standard testing 6 months later revealed nothing.

Kati

Patient in training
if I may speak on behalf of a friend who is no longer with us, his illness started after a flu shot.

melamine

flu-like illness with exhaustion, severe flu-like muscle aches, and clear cognitive dysfunction within hours.

@SOC - my third infection (2007) was much as you describe here. It lasted longer than any flu, clear symptoms of mild encephalitis in terms of impaired thought processing of a strange sort. I was left with significantly more memory loss, significant impairment of executive function, chronic muscle pain for several years, and progression of neuropathy that had been more smoldering prior to that.

I did not even try to get diagnosed at the time of acute infection because of the brain dysfunction, because my PCP had recently left his practice, and because of too many prior experiences of not being believed. Testing at some point showed elevated titers of coxsacki Bs, adenovirus, and EBV - the probable source of my original illness. Another severe infection a couple years earlier was never tested but doctor said it looked like coxsacki.

Fluctuation in the intensity of the symptoms that became chronic followed an odd pattern that suggests reactivation - muscle pain and/or tendonitis in my legs and cognitive and memory impairment have tended to worsen and improve at the same time. I think I had noticed the same association with edema in my legs and feet that has never been connected to any significant structural heart, lung, or kidney dysfunction that is usually the cause.