• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone else have rs880844 AA?

halcyon

AG here. Not seeing a lot about it on Google. What's your interest in it?

This has to do with synthesis and repair of the iron sulfur complex.

rs880844 AA is less frequent.
It doesn't mean anything just because it's less frequent. And in the case of that SNP, the AA genotype is still extremely common (up to 30% in some populations), just slightly less common than GG or AG. It also doesn't have any known mutation in the protein associated with it, nor any research showing that it's a problem.

Kimsie

I see. On opensnp it was 5%, but that is probably not a very large sample.

Halcyon, I was asking because I think there could be something going wrong with the iron-sulfur clusters, which would cause the electron transport chain to be inhibited, but there wouldn't necessarily have to be a mutation for that to happen.

I think the electron transport chain must to be inhibited in these illnesses, and I was wondering if there are some people who are more susceptible to inhibition of the ETC by interference with iron-sulfur clusters (by H2O2, i.e. oxidative stress) than other people.