• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone else have a massive improvement from Tyrosine?

drob31

I used it and felt great at first. I thought it cured me. And then I crashed HARD after several days. All of a sudden I got severe chills and overall nerve pain. Had to leave work and it took time to recover. Definitely be cautious with how much you use and be patient if you want to try it. Please be safe. I don’t plan on ever using it again.

I've had an issue with it recently too. I felt really good on it for 2 months though. I'm pretty sure it caused a d2 receptor downregulation, almost like a withdrawl.

joejack102

Yeah, whatever it was I hope I never have to go through that again, so I’m avoiding Tyrosine supplements.

andyguitar

Have any of you tried DLPA instead of Tyrosine? Dose is in the reigion of 500 mg twice daily. Comments about dopamine levels are interesting as it is possible that elevated Serotonin can alter dopamine. Yeah heparin can cause some side effects, it's powerful stuff and getting the dose correct is not easy. But I remember when it hit the news in the UK some people used it more of a way of having a short respite from symptoms. Sounds like it's much easier to get good private treatment in the US via your medical insurance than in the UK. Almost all sufferers here have to rely on the NHS which, although good for somethings, is way below standard for ME and related condition.

drob31

Have any of you tried DLPA instead of Tyrosine? Dose is in the reigion of 500 mg twice daily. Comments about dopamine levels are interesting as it is possible that elevated Serotonin can alter dopamine. Yeah heparin can cause some side effects, it's powerful stuff and getting the dose correct is not easy. But I remember when it hit the news in the UK some people used it more of a way of having a short respite from symptoms. Sounds like it's much easier to get good private treatment in the US via your medical insurance than in the UK. Almost all sufferers here have to rely on the NHS which, although good for somethings, is way below standard for ME and related condition.

How is heparin used for dopamine? I know it thins the blood and many people have issues because of sticky blood from things like antiphospholipid antibodies.

Also, I have DPLA. I tried one dose one time and it didn't miracously fix anything. Also I think using tyrosine helped me for 2 months or so, then my d2 recpetors must have downregulated somehow.

andyguitar

Heparin is a serotonin antagonist. That is how it stops clots forming as serotonin causes blood platlets to clump together.By lowering serotonin it leads to an increase in dopamine levels. Bit like a see-saw. When one end goes up the other falls. DLPA can take a while to have an effect as it's not always the instant effect it has on other chemicals in your body that helps. It's more a case of it's theraputic use on inflammation which will not happen instantly. I used it myself years ago to treat the effect of an accident and the corrective the surgery I had. Cant say it did that much for pain relief only the heavy duty drugs helped that. But the swelling, inflammation and my recovery to full mobility was a hell of a lot better than other people with similar injuries in my physio group. Doc said it was cos i was very fit beforehand. Was'nt interested in DLPA- probably never heard of it.

andyguitar

It's something along the lines of serotonin inhibiting the dopamine system that is the link between elevated serotonin and ME. Also serotonin alone does many things that are relevant to ME. Changes to the immune system in this illness? Serotonin modulates the levels of T cells. So you dont need an infection to have measurable changes to your immune system. If you consider the theory of natural selection, it makes sense that those whose immune system becomes over active when faced with threat are more likley to survive and pass on their genes than those dont. So i'd say that what often looks like infection is in fact the immune system reacting in case something happens not as a result of infection. If you were in battle would you keep your gun in its holster or in your hand ready to shoot? Same principal applies to the immune system. Locked and loaded!

Gondwanaland

From page 280:
l-Phenylalanine/l-tyrosine: The tetrahydrobiopterin-dependent hydroxylation of phenylalanine
generates tyrosine. Catabolism of tyrosine generates the glucogenic Krebs-cycle intermediate fumarate
and the ketogenic metabolite acetoacetate in five reaction steps. Complete oxidation of phenylalanine
requires biopterin, ascorbate, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6, pantothenate, lipoate, ubiquinone,
iron, and magnesium. Tyrosine is also a precursor of catecholamines and melanin.

wdb

You could try 250 mg of tyrosine on an empty stomach 30 min before food in the morning. You should know within an hour.

Are you are not getting more than that in a normal diet anyway, a single cheeseburger for example contains four times that amount of tyrosine.

frozenborderline

Your model fits the central fatigue hypothesis from the bodybuilding world. High serotonin, low dopamine, dysregulated HPA-axis, post exersize fatigue, etc.
if this was true for me I would expect stimulants to help. but ever since i got sick i've been largely unable to tolerate my prescribed ritalin

andyguitar

Interesting. Ritalin increases the density of the Serotonin transporter SERT. So your symptoms could be a result of adverse reaction to it. Drugs like that can have a long term effect on brain chemistry. Nobody knows what effect it might have when combined with other drugs/supplements. Best not to take things unless you really need to. As physical stimulation makes most peoples symptoms worse that will probably be the case if you use drug/supplement stimulants.

Learner1

After spending a weekend on the sofa, where I was completely unmotivated to lift an arm, get up to go to the bathroom, etc. I mentioned it to my doctor, who tested my dopamine level. It was on the floor.

He suggested taking 6g of tyrosine daily for several weeks, then I dropped to 3g, where I've been for over a year. I am homozyfous for COMT SNPs and should be high in dopamine, not low. But I seem to need the tyrosine.

I get heparin regularly with IVs and haven't noticed any difference. And I take a little 5-HTP before bed. My mood is usually fine - if it gets off, its generally related to folate or methionine nutrient status.

Its useful to test and know what you're short of.

drob31

After spending a weekend on the sofa, where I was completely unmotivated to lift an arm, get up to go to the bathroom, etc. I mentioned it to my doctor, who tested my dopamine level. It was on the floor.

He suggested taking 6g of tyrosine daily for several weeks, then I dropped to 3g, where I've been for over a year. I am homozyfous for COMT SNPs and should be high in dopamine, not low. But I seem to need the tyrosine.

I get heparin regularly with IVs and haven't noticed any difference. And I take a little 5-HTP before bed. My mood is usually fine - if it gets off, its generally related to folate or methionine nutrient status.

Its useful to test and know what you're short of.

How do you get your dopamine levels tested?

andyguitar

I suppose one thing we need to keep in mind is that there are natural fluctuations on a daily basis with everyones body chemistry. Also the documented effect of various supplements- particularly amino acids- only tell part of the story.

Gondwanaland

HandbookOfAntioxidantsp.359.jpg

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
It seems to cut through brain fog and fatigue like a knife through butter. I have to wonder if it's possible to be tyrosine deficient if you have malabsorption issues?
Could it be modulating the immune system somehow?

Tyrosine is one of the best influences that are helping me. It took one week until I felt somehow clear and strong.
When I don´t take it for a couple of months I feel worse. Useally I take it late evening, but only by accident, it works as well to take it in the morning.

I know of the effects on nerves, the situation seems a bit difficult. It has shown to be re-uptake-inhibited by blocked dopmine-transporters from nitric oxide. So it shall be to much at the first glance (and I think it is indeed in my case). On my very bad days I even had sometimes telefonrings and clockalarms that obviously hadn´t occured in reality (which I managed to know).
Because there might be to many synapses coming and going, or there might be such feedbacks from the cortex, the dopamine might be not in balance with itself, i.e. here to less, there to much. I think tyrosine does some balance, thanksfully. Only half a year back from now I could reload a ring and an alarm when I took 1000mg instead of 500mg tyrosine a day, I tried only twice for being shure enough. (Since longer time ago I am improving from a diet.)
All that makes sence assuming that the brain wants to learn on all that nitric oxide. Therefore the trials of dopamine to cheerlead the cortex. But with such a help all over the time the cortex now lacks some direction coming from the dopaminesystem as well.

Furthermore, epinephren is connected to dopamine (if I am remembering right, there are two different pathways).
Epinephren is coming out to low under nitric oxide - So already one more there is a lack of balance.

Last edited:

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
Wisdom is lurching at you.

Nevertheless, I would suggest that you take selenium as well, it´s not only good for the soul.

Last edited: