• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone else has easier time walking/standing than sitting?

pibee

I always thought I dont have POTS because I never hear my heart. Even in 13 yrs of sickness I never even complained to any doctor, friend, family member etc about anything related to heart beat. When in 2013 i realized I am physically sick I only thought it might be low blood pressure but wasnt low enough to draw my attention until I found out about ME POTS etc.

Few days ago I did tilt table test and my blood pressure went from 130/80 to 175/135.
Pulse they somehow said was too variable to measure. It increased but I dont know if it did by 30 bm.
They stopped it very quickly, I am not sure this was done properly...

I was feeling extremely unwell for the next 24hr after tilt test... I dont remember feeling this badly physically for 10+ yrs.

Anyway, I never felt much problems when I walk, or even dance, but I knew somehting is off because as soon as I sit, if I am alone, I lay.
For years I was even eating when laying sometimes, thinking I am so lazy.

-but now it occurs to me sitting is much more difficult than standing or walking... because of the calves muscles compensating?
I feel neuropathies in my calves - and, i'd fit "high flow" version of OH/POTS, because very hot palms and feet.

Also, when in social situation, movies, cafe, even for 3-4-5-7 hours I'd not feel any problems, but I learned to pace and ALL time at home, at my computer, weather I was learning, writing or working, was laying....

I rarely try to sit at home, maybe 1x in 2 weeks lately i feel 30 mins when i feel like sitting
Today was like that and i felt heart palps. this is when i get better and sit in situations when i normally dont... :/

This is so strange bc I never have palps when sitting out of home in a cafe/cinema

.....Only thing I can think of is that my leg muscles are compensating, and they're not so active when sitting in relaxed situation at home, as opposed to social situation?
and also tilt test, from my understanding is not using leg muscles, this is why the angle is 70, instead of 90?

I tried recently 0.75 L of IV saline, to see if it will help with symptoms, orthostatic hypertension, but I felt nothing or maybe very small improvement (too small to clam there was any).
In summer I got 0.5 L of IV saline and then IV ceftiraxone and felt extremely better in 30 hours, so I was trying to test if it was from saline or ceftriaxone. Seems without a doubt it was ceftriaxone.

ChrisD

YES to this. Not so much standing completely still but standing and moving my feet around or getting into the rhythm of walking (despite the energy output) is much easier in terms of my coordination issues and the kind of postural pain or exertion that I find when I am sitting upright.

pibee

YES to this. Not so much standing completely still but standing and moving my feet around or getting into the rhythm of walking (despite the energy output) is much easier in terms of my coordination issues and the kind of postural pain or exertion that I find when I am sitting upright.

yep, standing still is harder than walking..

what kind of dysautonomia you have?