The Real ME: A Stock Photography Resource for the Media
We’ve all seen them in the news stories about ME/CFS: the guy in a suit at the office, yawning; the beautiful woman sitting at her desk with her immaculate make-up and elegantly coiffed hair, hand to her head and looking slightly pained.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Anyone else get sleepy from Cordyceps?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by perchance dreamer, Mar 3, 2016.

1. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

I tried Cordyceps this morning for the first time. I'm curious to see if it can help for energy.

I took 500 MG of the Host Defense product, 1/2 their recommended dose. I took just that amount because I'm really sensitive, and many products that can increase energy disturb my sleep, even when I take them early.

Surprisingly, the Cordyceps has made me extremely sleepy. I might try taking it before bed the next time, but this effect is totally different from what I was expecting.

2. sorry nothing to do with your actual needs, and forgive me please :)
    but...
    Cordyceps...anyone seen the BBC nature documentary with the Cordyceps fungi that turns ants into zombies?
    AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! way bloody creepy!!! :p

3. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

Oh my God!!!!!!! That was exceedingly creepy, @SilverbladeTE! I hope spores don't burst out of my brain. That wouldn't be a good look on me. Here's a youtube clip:

SilverbladeTE likes this.
  4. yeah they made a computer game where a similar fungi took over human brains and turned 'em into kind of zombies, eeeek!

5. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

Canada
    @perchance dreamer

Cordyceps is known to be sedating. Seems unusual to take it for energy. It's usually used to improve immune function by apparently increasing natural killer cell function. Also seems to decrease cytokine cascades when treating infections.

Haven't heard it used for energy, though it might have that effect as a result of decreasing cytokines when ill.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  6. Deltrus

Deltrus Senior Member

Lion's mane makes me super sleepy.. probably because it boosts the immune system. Perhaps other mushrooms share this property.

7. osteo999

osteo999

London, UK
    Hi There,
    Cordyceps in combination with fermented Ginseng has been shown to improve immune function and also improve ATP (both increase and availablity - I don't have the references but Google will show them). This combination will take a few weeks to show improvements (the study was 12 weeks) so it is a bit unrealistic of you to expect 1 dose to show a result. If you subscribe to the ideas postulated by Dr Sarah Myhill that ME/CFS is a mitochondrial/ATP dysfunction then these supplements will provide positive results for you.
    On a wider point I had hoped viewing PR forum would show a little more mature debate rather than the childish and frankly stupid unhelpful nonsense I see in commenting on your entry - a pity

8. Justin30

Justin30 Senior Member

I tried Reishi made me ill. Mihht try a mix later on.

I think now that I have been reading more that treatment for more severe cases needs to happen in stages to prevent unwanted/harmful side effects.

See more popular forum discussions.