• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone else get sleepy from Cordyceps?

perchance dreamer

I tried Cordyceps this morning for the first time. I'm curious to see if it can help for energy.

I took 500 MG of the Host Defense product, 1/2 their recommended dose. I took just that amount because I'm really sensitive, and many products that can increase energy disturb my sleep, even when I take them early.

Surprisingly, the Cordyceps has made me extremely sleepy. I might try taking it before bed the next time, but this effect is totally different from what I was expecting.

SilverbladeTE

sorry nothing to do with your actual needs, and forgive me please :)
but...
Cordyceps...anyone seen the BBC nature documentary with the Cordyceps fungi that turns ants into zombies?
AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! way bloody creepy!!! :p

helen1

@perchance dreamer

Cordyceps is known to be sedating. Seems unusual to take it for energy. It's usually used to improve immune function by apparently increasing natural killer cell function. Also seems to decrease cytokine cascades when treating infections.

Haven't heard it used for energy, though it might have that effect as a result of decreasing cytokines when ill.

Last edited:

Deltrus

Lion's mane makes me super sleepy.. probably because it boosts the immune system. Perhaps other mushrooms share this property.

I tried Cordyceps this morning for the first time. I'm curious to see if it can help for energy.

I took 500 MG of the Host Defense product, 1/2 their recommended dose. I took just that amount because I'm really sensitive, and many products that can increase energy disturb my sleep, even when I take them early.

Surprisingly, the Cordyceps has made me extremely sleepy. I might try taking it before bed the next time, but this effect is totally different from what I was expecting.

Hi There,
Cordyceps in combination with fermented Ginseng has been shown to improve immune function and also improve ATP (both increase and availablity - I don't have the references but Google will show them). This combination will take a few weeks to show improvements (the study was 12 weeks) so it is a bit unrealistic of you to expect 1 dose to show a result. If you subscribe to the ideas postulated by Dr Sarah Myhill that ME/CFS is a mitochondrial/ATP dysfunction then these supplements will provide positive results for you.
On a wider point I had hoped viewing PR forum would show a little more mature debate rather than the childish and frankly stupid unhelpful nonsense I see in commenting on your entry - a pity

Justin30

I tried Reishi made me ill. Mihht try a mix later on.

I think now that I have been reading more that treatment for more severe cases needs to happen in stages to prevent unwanted/harmful side effects.