• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone else get a sore throat from l-methylfolate?

I got one response on my previous post, but wanted to see if there are any others.... I am homozygous for MTHFR mutation and am self treating with l-methylfolate 1000 mcgs, as i've heard that folic acid is not good for me sine I cannot metabolize it.

At any rate, I was getting over a cold when I first started to take it and then bam, major sore throat. At first, I did not think there was a correlation, but every day I took it since, bad sore throat. I am not going to take it today to see if there are any improvements at all. Just wondering if it's normal, that's all.

Thank you very much for your support.

Sparrow

Yep.

Feeling really sick, with sore throat and swollen glands is pretty standard for me as a "start-up" reaction to this stuff. I had it with SAMe as well. Going very, very slowly with the dose seems to help keep it to a minimum for me. I've tried not to push things too fast with the methylfolate, since Rich von K has mentioned in the past that for some people those side effects seem to build momentum and can take a long time to pass if they're given the chance to really get going.

1000 seems like a lot to start with, if I'm understanding you correctly. There are lots of people here who could only begin with a tiny crumb without getting really ill. :) Could you break up the pills and slow things down a bit? I did 100mg, adding each week if I wasn't yet having bad side effects.

Sometimes having to be careful with these seems like an indication that it will help you later, so in some ways its a reassuring thing that you're having side effects. :)

place

Be Strong!
Not related but my husband and I both have a sore throat and head aches. Could it be something going around? How are you doing without taking it?

Anteah

I had this issue when I just started taking Methylfolate. I even thought I got flu until it went over one week with out any other classical flu symptoms but still same sore throat. That made me think that there is no way it was flu, especially just like you I usually never get sore throat. It went away after a week and a half. Now I feel great on it.