• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone done an iron infusion?

Hi Everyone,
I noticed people were chatting about an iron infusion last year. Did anyone actually do it? I am headed in for one today and pretty nervous, but really want the good effects of higher ferritin.

barbc56

I have had several iron infusions. I didn't have any side effects.

Has a hematologist recommended this? There are different types of iron medications used for low ferritin.

As to improvements in how I feel, not much, but at least my blood levels are normal, However, it did reduce my IRS symptoms dramatically.

Good luck. Let us know how this goes.

Last edited:
Hi! I didn't react either. They have a new iron that doesn't react as much apparently. My hematologist ordered the test to see if my ferritin level of 10 was contributing to my fatigue. I'm always also borderline or anemic in my RBC and my red blood cells are pretty large. B12 is fine. Iron is ok. But ferritin is really low and the pills upset my stomach badly. What is IRS? I expected to at least feel flulike the next day. They warned me about that. But I took Tylenol and didn't feel flulike (well, anymore than I do everyday with ME). I'll fill everyone in as I wait to see if it increases my energy in the coming weeks.