• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone discovered heavy metals were primary cause?

I assume this is a good place for this thread given chelation in the heading. I'm interested to hear anyone's experience with heavy metals playing a role in their chronic fatigue. Tests, diagnosis, treatment, outcomes, etc. Any feedback would be appreciated.

ukxmrv

I've had several tests - hair, teeth and then did a urine test after a challenge. These were done over decades with different doctors and were just part of their standard tests at that time. It's not something I have concentrated on.

All my tests were negative.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
The one I remember is urine challenge after labs showed crazy high levels of mercury and some other metals.

I went through 8 or so months of DMPS chelation after having mercury fillings removed.

It did zero for my fatigue and cognitive functioning. It did help with MCS equilibrium

Hip

You may find this poll of interest:

Cutler Mercury Chelation Poll

Only a small percentage (13%) reported a major improvement.

But there are quite a few ME/CFS treatments like that, where only a small percentage get benefit.

Last edited:

SB_1108

Copper was an issue for me... I wonder if it were the primary cause or just another of many factors contributing to my illness. By doing a copper detox (nutritional balancing), I improved a lot but not 100%. I was not able to walk or stand for more than a few seconds before the copper detox but now I can walk/stand for up to an hour. Still looking for the other pieces of the puzzle.

Tammy

I think heavy metals can be PART of the problem but not the primary. The supplements that I use to help with metals are Hawaiin Pacifica spirulina...........had to start off with low dosages.............also barley grass juice powder. Cilantro also a good one. Sometimes I take up to a cup of cilantro a day.

Johnmac

Just about every illness can cause fatigue. HMs can be a part of the cause of CF, or the whole cause - or bear no relation to it. It depends on the individual.

For example a friend made big inroads on his fatigue with Cutler chelation; but I had less effect, & had to move on to methylation, which worked better for me. (Tho chelation benefited other things.)

Johnmac

From http://howirecovered.com/active-b12-therapy-faq/comment-page-8/#comment-375572

The monovalent cobalt atom in methyl B12 is readily oxidized by various compounds – for instance nitrous oxide. This oxidation inactivates methioninsyntase (MS) which has then to be formed de novo. Mercury, as we know, does oxidize many compounds, logically also cobalt. lf this hypothesis (which is about to be verified), is confirmed, it means that mercury can block the methylation cycle and thus induce a functional B12-deficiency (folates are not altered). This in turn is one explanation of why symptoms of mercury overload and vitamin B12-deficiency may be identical!

There is also a second possible interaction between vitamin B12, and mercury. Mercury has indeed been shown to impair the Transport of vitamin B12 over the blood-brain barrier which results in a low CSF/serum concentration ratio of the vitamin. Low CSF levels of vitamin B12 (and high CSF-homocysteine levels) have been observed in fibromyalgia (chronic fatigue syndrome), MS and in dementia. High doses of vitamin B12, that overcome the block to some extent, has had sometimes stunning results in these conditions.

My results came back from Doctor's Data urine provocation test;
Outside reference range and very high in lead and mercury, and less but still high and out of range for antimony, cadmium, gadolinium, nickel, and tin. Not sure what this all means. But wondering if the is the cause of my daily chronic fatigue and severe hangover sensation every morning when I wake.

Johnmac

Well, yes, heavy metal toxification can definitely cause chronic fatigue, & a very long list of other symptoms.

Mercury is the worst, & lead is right up there. From memory, together they have a synergy which makes them far more toxic than the sum of the parts.

Started ozone therapy and everything improved dramatically. Candida yeast came out in a big lump. Travelling for this therapy so not doing it as regularly as I'd like, and still feeling a bit up and down, but up times feeling almost cured, best I've felt in 14 years. Some say the ozone will detox metals too but we'll see over time. Getting fillings replaced regardless. Ozone kills all pathogens so perhaps thats my primary issue not metals. After just 1 treatment I felt a dramatic shift, which I associate more to pathogen death than metal detox, at least that's my thought. This ozone appears to be the answer for me. I bought a generator for home so I can do some self administration. Final testing prior to this showed the possibibliy of heavy metals, mould, yeast, Lyme, virus, could be any or all. Ozone is the answer. But it's still early days, only 3 weeks, need more time to experiment, but looks very encouraging.

I did a new type of hemo dialysis method with a zotzman machine from Germany. It draws out 200 ml of blood, infuses ozone, returns blood, up to 10x per treatment. I also did ozone sauna, ear, and rectal insufflations on same day. Can do the latter myself at home once equip arrives. Also candida diet, veg only for 5 weeks. Hydrating lots.