1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A disease with two faces? Re-naming ME/CFS
Persuasion Smith covers the bases on the misleading and disreputable name for our disease we've all been saddled with ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Anybody with ME/CFS also positive for glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by richvank, Nov 11, 2011.

1. richvank

richvank Senior Member

Hi, all.

I'm just wondering if anyone here who has ME/CFS has also been found to be positive for glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency (G6PDD).

This is starting to be of some interest in autism, particularly in people of Middle Eastern or African descent, in which
    there is a greater prevalence of G6PDD, probably because malaria selected for people who had this genetic variation
    in the past.

This is the most common genetic mutation in the human population. It causes red blood cells to be less able to
    recycle their glutathione, and can thus lead to early death of these cells. This is normally a disadvantage, but the benefit in malaria is that the malaria
    parasites inhabit the red blood cells and depend on the antioxidant system in the red blood cells for their survival. GDPDD would hamper control of oxidative stress,
    and that could help to kill the red cells in which the malaria parasites reside, and hence to knock out the parasites as well.

Given that I believe that both ME/CFS and autism begin in most cases with depletion of the chemically reduced form
    of glutathione, and that red blood cells are normally net producers and exporters of glutathione, it would make
    sense from a theoretical point of view that having G6PDD would tend to increase the susceptibility to developing
    ME/CFS or autism.

I don't see anything about this in the ME/CFS research literature, and am wondering if this connection really shows up in the ME/CFS population.

Thanks.

Rich

2. searcher

searcher

SF Bay Area
    For those of us with 23andme, you can see whether you have one of the two common mutations that cause G6PDD deficiency under "carrier status." It says that 400 million people have this deficiency. I also noticed the gene is carried on the X chromosome, so should be more common in males (which would fit autism but not ME/CFS.)
    I don't have the deficiency according to 23andme, but the two SNPs they report on are generally only found in people with recent African ancestry, which I don't have.

See more popular forum discussions.