• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anybody Here Know the Tarot?

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I recently bought a deck of Tarot cards, the Haindl deck, which is very artistically done and inclusive of many spiritual traditions. Every card of the Major Arcana has a Hebrew letter, a rune and an astrological sign. The Minor Arcana have Indian, Celtic, Egyptian and Native American gods and symbols; the numbered cards 2 through 10 have an I Ching symbol on them.

I love the richness of the symbolism and like to pull a few cards several times a week just to meditate on the archetypes and energies represented in them. I don't know much about the Tarot yet, but I am knowledgeable about some of the symbolism and most of the gods. I am curious to learn more.

If anyone knows of a good book or two on the Tarot, please let me know.

Haindl.jpg

allyann

I was taught the Tarot by a Celtic gypsy and one of the best ways he suggested to learn was by looking at the cards that you draw and seeing what jumps out at you. The first thing that jumps into your head is usually right.

If you do want some further guidance - Tarot Plain and Simple by Anthony Louis is really good an introduction.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Hi allyann-- Thank you for your response.

I wish I knew a Celtic gypsy to teach me Tarot! I like his approach, and so far that's what I've been doing. I already have a grasp of most of the Major Arcana and some of the Minor Arcana. It's the numbered cards that I am having a harder time getting a feel for. I will check out the book you recommended, that sounds good.

The one card that really puzzles me is the HANGED MAN... I just go blank when I see that. I've read the traditional interpretations, but honestly that image is just weird and hard to grok. Can you give me your take on what this represents to you? thanks in advance.

12HangedMan.jpg

Nielk

Hi allyann-- Thank you for your response.

I wish I knew a Celtic gypsy to teach me Tarot! I like his approach, and so far that's what I've been doing. I already have a grasp of most of the Major Arcana and some of the Minor Arcana. It's the numbered cards that I am having a harder time getting a feel for. I will check out the book you recommended, that sounds good.

The one card that really puzzles me is the HANGED MAN... I just go blank when I see that. I've read the traditional interpretations, but honestly that image is just weird and hard to grok. Can you give me your take on what this represents to you? thanks in advance.

12HangedMan.jpg

Hi Dreambirdie,

I know zero about Tarot cards. Never even saw them in real life or had any readings done.
I'm just looking at the card you are showing and will tell you what jumps at me.
Unlike the name "hanged man" this does not denote death at all. The two trees on the sides with the top line connecting them form the Hebrew letter chet - which most probably stands for chai - which means life.
The little Hebrew letter on the right bottom is the letter mem - which could stand for mishmash - which means upside down. Therefore I would think that this card either mens that things are not the way they seem or that things are mixed up. What should be up is down or vice versa.

leela

I have had the same approach as the Celtic Wanderer suggested (nice to have it validated!)

In that sense each time you see a card in the context of a reading, you see something different in it.

Since you asked, my first hit on your Hanged Man card, DB,was the usefulness of a fresh perspective, sort of turning habitual points of view on their head.

FWIW :Retro smile:

maddietod

Motherpeace Tarot describes this card: represents surrender, a karmic cleansing, the giving up of the ego and whatever it thought it wanted. ...surrender to something higher and perhaps unknown, but FELT. ...the heart opens, and you experience unconditional love.

Looking at the card, I see that a new perspective has been taken, the opposite of what is normal. The light implies mysticism/spirituality/awakening, so this shift contains the potential for movement into those realms. Or perhaps receiving information from them.

The figure is apparently comfortable; this is not frightening. He is suspended - and so is between things. There is perhaps a choice between moving in one direction or another, or he might be feeling stuck in a more general way.

I could put these ideas together into a storyline for you, but it's much more fun - and productive - if you do it yourself!

Madie

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Thanks Nielk, leela, and madietodd for your great insights into the Hanging Man.

I like the idea of turning habitual points of view on their head... as you've probably noticed!

allyann

I too get the sense that it is telling you to look at things from a new perspective, ie turn every thing upside down. It is also challenging you to put aside any preconceived ideas, so that you can see these new insights.

The book explains the foundation of the numbers and their possible meanings.

One other thing I found fascinating is when you lay the major arcana out in order they take one on a journey.

Another great way to learn is to pick one card per day, write down in a journal what it is telling you. The next day reflect on whatever things came to you during the day and if it matched what you originally saw. You can then start to see meanings relevant to you from the cards.

IMO there is no wrong answer from the tarot. It is the law of attraction helping you to see insights that are meant for you.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
One other thing I found fascinating is when you lay the major arcana out in order they take one on a journey.

Another great way to learn is to pick one card per day, write down in a journal what it is telling you. The next day reflect on whatever things came to you during the day and if it matched what you originally saw. You can then start to see meanings relevant to you from the cards.

IMO there is no wrong answer from the tarot. It is the law of attraction helping you to see insights that are meant for you.

Great ideas. Thanks. I am going to start with the one card a day. I love that Haindl deck... very artistic.

allyann

Just picked up on your comment about being puzzled by the hangman. Try expanding on what 'puzzled' means to you and what is puzzling you in your life situation at the moment....

:)

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Hi allyann--

I think I am already a lot that way, like an introspective hermit, even w/o the illness.

I am an INFJ on the Meyer's Briggs Inventory test. What about you?

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I woke up this morning feeling like hell. No surprise, as I had an exposure last night to bleach, which I had used to clean around some of my windows. It didn't air out during the day, as I thought it would. :( I didn't smell it in the air, but I was breathing it as I slept. And this morning I am trashed.

Today's card pick turned out to be THE TOWER.

16-tower.jpg

Nielk

The tower looks in real bad shape.
Attacked by two fronts.
Lightning on top and fire in the bottom.
Looks real gloomy, yet...
If you look to the right...a new calm day is in sight.
So Dreambirdie, don't worry, tomorrow will be better.