Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Anybody else react badly to xylitol?

Discussion in 'General Symptoms' started by Mels, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Mels

Mels

Oxfordshire, UK
    Hi, I made a cake yesterday and used 3 tablespoons of xylitol .
    I had weird tingling in my face, feet and hands last night but didn't link it with xylitol and put it down to another weird reaction to "something unknown".

However, I have just had 2 slices of cake- it is very good as dairy free and "sugar" free cakes go. Just ground almonds, eggs, xylitol.
    Have just experienced the tingling again along with altered heart beat, slight tightening of throat, an ache in my shin which I have linked to possible allergic reactions before and strange sensation in mouth.

Anybody experienced similar reactions to xylitol and anybody got any theories as to why? Have used in small doses to no affect at all but what is in it that my body is shouting "NO" to?

Oh my word , have just thought - I had terrible gastric distress last night too- awful gallbladder and pancreas pain. Hasn't flared like that for ages......could it be the xylitol?

Have been researching it and it doesn't seem like the innocent sugar replacement that I naively thought it was. When will I stop making these errors- we must research everything!!!!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    oceiv likes this.
  2. L'engle

L'engle moogle

Canada
    I eat candies made with xylitol but in any large quantity it hurt my stomach. I haven't had the other symptoms you had but I wouldn't be surprised if they are caused by xylitol. There seems to be no easy answer to the sugar replacement. Too bad, xylitol actually tastes good.

oceiv likes this.
  3. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 Ohio, USA

Ohio, USA
    I haven't had a problem with it in gum or mints, but have never experimented in higher doses. It does sound like it could only be the xylitol, sorry to hear of the reaction.

oceiv likes this.
  4. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    You can get xylitol from a health food store that is not made from corn or anything else GMO.

Sushi

Valentijn and oceiv like this.
  5. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

The xylitol I use is from birch and non-GMO. It's Global Sweet. It's also available on AZ:

http://www.globalsweet.com/p/GRX1.html

I've always read that some people are sensitive to sugar alcohols and can't tolerate large amounts. I've never had a problem, but I don't bake with it. I just use 1 tsp a day in a cup of coffee.

It might be you'll be fine with small amounts, but will need to find another type of sweetener such as stevia to bake with.

Xylitol does taste really good. Most of the stevia I've had tastes horrid, like an artificial, bitter taste, but there must be some brands that are good. One of my supplements is NeuroBiologix Super Greens, which is sweetened with stevia, and it's tasty. I just don't know what the quality brands of stevia are.

Valentijn likes this.
  6. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Actually stevia doesn't work well in most baking due to the bitter aftertaste. But it does great with tea, hot cocoa, or coffee since the bitter flavor fits in there. Xylitol is one of the nicer ones to bake with, from what I recall, though it does an unpleasant minty thing when combined with chocolate.

Splenda might be a decent alternative for baking.

7. Rand56

Rand56 Senior Member

Myrtle Beach, SC
    I don't have any negative reactions to xylitol, but splenda gives me gas, and stevia gives me some acne breakouts. I'd rather just do regular sugar.

Valentijn likes this.
  8. Crux

Crux Senior Member

USA
    Xylitol is a FODMAP, a sugar alcohol.

It isn't digested by the body, but by the gut microbes. If there's dysbiosis, SIBO,etc., then there could be reactions to the metabolites from the bacteria.

9. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Yeah, that was my ultimate decision as well. If I bake, I use maple syrup or raw (brown) cane sugar. I just don't have baked goods very often.

10. Mels

Mels

Oxfordshire, UK
    Thanks everybody, will just steer clear of it . Who needs the comfort of gluten, dairy and sugar free cake with herbal tea anyway..........over rated!

See more popular forum discussions.