• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anybody else been on.....

Francelle

...a regimen of four days of antibiotics per month, then probiotics for the rest of the month, for gut dysbiosis?

The antibiotic I will be taking is Gabbroral otherwise known as Paromomycin, not one that is commonly used or available in Australia. Probably off label and if so, will cost a fortune - but not sure!

I don't know if this is a usual regimen that Dr Lewis uses for his M.E./CFS patients but I suspect it is one of his treatment options. I know I was very sceptical that I would show any gut dysbiosis when I first went to his clinic but looks like I was wrong according to the tests that I have had. :(

Esther12

I'm speaking from a position of total ignorance - sounds a bit dodgy to me, and like a great way of encrouaging antibiotic resistant bugs.

Instinctively... this doesn't sound like something a doctor should do. Possibly I'm just being a reactionary skeptic - but I feel suspicious of this go, and would encourage you to look for independent evidence in support of his claims before following his advice. Sorry to sound harsh if you were feeling hopeful about this... hopefully I'm wrong and it's a great treatment - but CFS does attract dodgy folk, so it's best to be on alert imo. Good luck.

ukme

Interestingly my daughter has just been put on this (4 days) by KDM. Feel a bit unsure; I will have to research this before going ahead.

Francelle

That sounds about right ukme, as Dr Lewis and KDM work very closely together.

There must be some science behind this protocol as they (KDM & Don Lewis) would definitely understand the principles of antibiotic resistance. They call it a trimester protocol meaning taking the a/bs for three months, then they re-evaluate to see if the antibiotic needs to continue longer from what I understand.

I dont know whether they do another stool test at the end of the three months to assess how effective the trimester treatment has been or whether they go by symptomology.

I also dont know the reasoning for using this particular a/b.

ukme

Well my daughter initially took 3 months abx (erthyromycin/vancocin) based on results of a stool test. This will be the second lot of abx, but I am going to ask why this a/b is being prescribed, esp since the follow up stool test has not been done yet - therefore how can this particular a/b be singled out for use before the results are in? I feel concern about another 3 months on abx as well....you hear so many negative comments about longterm a/b use. Nightmare!

Lala

Are those negative comments on phoenix forum, ukme? Do you have link, please?

This is a bit later but in case anybody else is interested - I went on this treatment. I'm in my last month of it (at least I am nearly done with the probiotics). So far, I have had absolutely no success. It's fairly maddening that I take so many pills each day and completely change my diet for (seeimingly) no reason.
But I'd like to think others would have more success.

Tony

Still working on it all..
Hi newy,

I've been down this road too. It's been a fairly long one but after 18 months of treatment I'm definitely improved. It took about 6-8 months to get the tiniest of improvements. I'm glad I kept going...:) I'm still on various treatments but having a break from the ab/s.