• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anybody discover Magnesium?

Chocolove

Tournament of the Phoenix - Rise Again
@pamojja In America we are deluged with advertising. Drugs are allowed to advertised on television and commercial breaks are full of drug ads. I understand that America is one of few countries that allows this. Many doctors here who also sell supplements have ads directly on their sites. It is common practice here. Carolyn Dean brought the magnesium research to the masses in plain English with good references. I expect that your email encountered a support team and a computerized commercialized set-up that is unfortunately so common in the states.

Chocolove

Tournament of the Phoenix - Rise Again
Rating different types of magnesium supplements:
https://labdoor.com/rankings/magnesium
2 out of every 3 products measured total arsenic levels in one serving that were projected to exceed California’s Proposition 65 proposed safe daily intake limit for inorganic arsenic.

Testing Summary
Labdoor analyzed 34 best-selling magnesium supplements in the United States for elemental magnesium content and heavy metal (arsenic, cadmium, lead, mercury) contamination.

Products in this batch analysis measured an average of 331 mg of magnesium per serving, ranging from 38.1 mg to 691.2 mg. Products deviated from label claims by an average of 11.5%. 15 of 34 products met the daily Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDAs) for magnesium to prevent deficiencies in both male and female adults. 19 products exceeded magnesium’s Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL), the threshold at which a risk for adverse effects like diarrhea and nausea appears for most people.

Arsenic, a carcinogenic heavy metal, was an issue in this testing round. In one serving, 25 of 34 products measured total arsenic levels that were projected to exceed California Proposition 65’s proposed safe daily intake limit for inorganic arsenic. Six products contained titanium dioxide, a whitening agent classified as “Generally Recognized as Safe” by the US Food & Drug Administration despite being linked to cancer and neurological damage.

Analytical Chemistry Methods: ICP-OES (Inductively Coupled Plasma - Optical Emission Spectrometry) to quantify levels of magnesium, calcium, copper, iron, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, and zinc; ICP-MS (Inductively Coupled Plasma - Mass Spectrometry) to quantify heavy metal (arsenic, cadmium, lead, mercury) load.

Last edited:
Well, not in my experience of supplementing all forms for 9 years in high doses. First half of this time period I tried all allegedly better absorbed forms (malate, glycinate, citrate, ascorbate, threonate..) and measured serum, whole blood and hair tissue. Beside my main indication of a certain intake threshold in elemental Mg to cease pain-full muscle cramps.

About 5 years ago I came across that fault in most Mg absorption research and started with Mg-oxide, with as good results as any of the allegedly better absorbed form. But internet myths die hard, and there is a lot of profit to be made in sustaining them.

Of course everything is an individual thing due to biochemical-individuality. So if Mg-oxide indeed cause loose stuhl at lower doses than an other Mg-compound with equal elemental Mg in an individual, then it's a no-brainer. If not, no reason to waste money.

I've never had any positive result from oxide but as you rightly observe everyone is different and I could be an exception. I have had pretty good result from chloride both orally and dermally and currently use an Amazon picometer Mg. and seems to be a decent product .