The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Any way of taking Kefir and NOT provoking a histamine reaction?

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by Bansaw, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Bansaw

Bansaw Senior Member

I seem to gravitate back to raw milk kefir because I am convinced its good for me, and I know I need good bacteria since I've a history of heavy antibiotic use.

Anyway, I am also quite sure that I get a histamine reaction. I tested it today. I was feeling "good" and then I drank a glass of kefir and then I felt bad 40 mins later (achy, tired etc).
    I think I got a histamine reaction. I mean I drank a lot to exaggerate it but....

My question is, I wonder if I could take kefir in a capsule or some other way to cut down on that reaction. Or maybe simply not drink so much of it (maybe a couple of teaspoons per meal, or putting it in a capsule, or drying it...etc.)

I know there are histamine friendly probiotics but honestly I'm not convinced they are helping enough to warrant $30 a month shelling out and convinced that there are helping so much. With Kefir I know. 4 yrs ago a doctor took a stool sample when I was doing kefir and was really impressed with the bacteria. But I was getting those histamine reactions now I know.

2. Dmitri

Dmitri Senior Member

NYC
    Are you sure it's histamine and not the acid? I can't have kefir or yogurt without getting burns on my tongue and esophagus.

3. Bansaw

Bansaw Senior Member

I think so. The symptoms are tiredness, achiness, not burning or acid reflux.

4. Timaca

Timaca Senior Member

When I tried kefir I took 1 tablespoon a day. Then 2 tablespoons. You might try cutting WAY back on the amount you are taking.....

Eventually though, I did switch to probiotics because I was having intestinal issues. I found that Jarrow Brand Ideal Bowel Support helped me a lot and didn't give me histamine issues. I was still having some problems so I added in the Jarro Dolphilus for babies (1/4 tsp). I have also done fine with that. Recently, I added in the FemDolphilus. That one has been amazing in that it has helped clear my brain up, and given me more of a feeling of wellness. So far (less than 1 week taking it)...no histamine issues. They have all helped me so I am currently taking all of them. Certainly kefir is less expensive but it hasn't helped me like these 3 probiotics have....

Best,

Cog71 likes this.
  5. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    I can't have anything fermented or pickled b/c of histamine and MCAS so yogurt and kefir are out for me. Even though I can eat a LOT more foods now, I still do not tolerate anything in this group. But I am not sure how you would know if tiredness or achiness is a histamine reaction vs. due to something else?

justy likes this.
  6. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    The best way to balance the gut is with food - especaially prebiotics. Fermented foods do not actually repopulate the gut as any influence they have is likely transitory.

I don't think there is any way around the histamine reaction, I'm sorry. Histamine is simply a byproduct of fermentation and once it's in there it's in there. Not much you can do about it.

7. Bansaw

Bansaw Senior Member

Actually kefir is powerful enough to eventually repopulate the gut.

8. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    Is there evidence of that?

hixxy likes this.
  9. invisiblejungle

invisiblejungle Senior Member

Chicago suburbs
    Maybe you could try DAOsin? It's the enzyme that breaks down histamine in food.

10. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member

Vancouver, British Columbia
    Kefir does repopulate the gut that is why it is superior to yogurt.

See more popular forum discussions.