The Real ME: A Stock Photography Resource for the Media
We’ve all seen them in the news stories about ME/CFS: the guy in a suit at the office, yawning; the beautiful woman sitting at her desk with her immaculate make-up and elegantly coiffed hair, hand to her head and looking slightly pained.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Any other women have POTS/OI flare up before and during a period?

Discussion in 'Hormones' started by hellytheelephant, Dec 2, 2016.

1. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member

S W England
    Hi

any other POTS/OI sufferers get worse before or during their period?
    I have noticed this on and off for some years.I am already taking electrolyte, and it is helpful ( I really notice the difference if I forget to take it)
    Would be interested to know if this affects others too.

Helly

Paralee likes this.
  2. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    OH MY GOD mine is horrible! I have heavy Ps. Let me tell you what I discovered a few months ago and has been a blessing. Iron! I do not struggle w constipation (on the contrary) So I can take 2 pills together w no problem. I load on the iron like a week before and I don't get so out of commission lately. I still pass out more often, but not to the point I was at before.
    The doctor gave me some iron which is suppose to be better but I use the cheap from super and works for me.

Paralee and hellytheelephant like this.
  3. hellytheelephant

S W England
    Thanks @Inester7
    I do take iron...just not v regularly. I am having heavy Ps too, so I think I need to sort the iron out. I do suffer with constipation so I take liquid iron - Floradix.

Paralee likes this.
  4. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    Ah that is the one she prescribed but I can't tolerate folic acid ( I do the pills). It puts me to sleep, like swollen brain. Why I am doing regular.

hellytheelephant likes this.
  5. Paralee

Paralee Senior Member

USA
    Heavy Ps can also be low thyroid.

6. L'engle

L'engle moogle

Canada
    My OI gets worse at that time but not really until during. Mine aren't very heavy but my body doesn't seem to do well with even small losses of blood. I'm generally weaker than usual for the first three days.

7. Paralee

Paralee Senior Member

USA
    @Inester7 , just making sure what you meant on the swollen brain. Did you mean the iron ? Or the folic acid? Just wondering because my head feels "full" a lot of times. Thanks

8. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    Folic acid. I cannot tolerate folic acid is a very bizarre brain feeling but not in a good way. I get like sleepy and like I cannot function at all feeling from it. I have the genetic A1298c I think is called mutation which supposedly mean I need it. But cannot tolerate it.

9. Paralee

Paralee Senior Member

USA
    @lnester7 , I figured you had the A1298C if you were referring to folic acid.

@hellytheelephant , good luck to you. I'm assuming if the iron doesn't work you know about the thyroid's connection (sort of) to heavy P's. What electrolytes do you take? Oh, you're in England, I need to find a brand/type that is good.

10. hellytheelephant

S W England
  11. Paralee

Paralee Senior Member

USA
    Thanks @hellytheelephant. When I was low thyroid my P's were awful, when they'relike mine were (heavy and sometimes long, but very heavy for sure) it can be a thyroid sign. Since you're peri-menopausal I don't know if that could be a problem or not, but if it were me I'd get my FreeT3 and FreeT4 - thyroid hormones - checked, and I would never take a doctor's word on if they were normal or not.....but that's just me. Good luck.

Edit: I'll try to make sure I don't have to edit this again. Many women are a little anemic when they have their P's, so the iron is important, also. But if the thyroid is low and can be controlled, the iron can be supplemented back to normal, hopefully.

12. Paralee

Paralee Senior Member

USA
    Have to add if it happens before your period it could be a hormone thing, and yours is probably in flux right now.

13. hellytheelephant

S W England
    I had my thyroid checked in a blood test and it was fine according to my Dr ( we are not given read outs of blood tests here). Yup- all in flux and stress of last couple of weeks ( probs with applying for social security benefit here in Uk) has made all my symptoms flare up. I do recommend the electrolyte though- If I have to go out for more than a short time, I take half a litre with me.

14. Paralee

Paralee Senior Member

USA
    @hellytheelephant , I thought the UK-England had to give you your results. He/she probably just did a tsh test, but that can tell a little bit.
    That electrolyte doesn't ship to the US, so I'll find a good one here, but thanks.

See more popular forum discussions.