• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Any luck with Imuran?

Living Dead

Hi everyone

Did anyone have any luck with Imuran for ME/CFS?

(The generic name for Imuran is Azathioprine.)

snowathlete

I hope the @Living Dead don't mind me resurecting this thread... :eek:

My ulcerative colitis is in the background at the moment but not quite in remission really. If it comes back then I'll be given azathioprine next as steroids had zero effect. It's an immune supressant that's been around for a long time and it mostly impacts B and T cells. Like the OP, I'm wondering if anyone has tried it for a concurrent illness and noticed any benefit to their ME symptoms?

Living Dead

Note that I have another diagnosis, but I think it doesn't cover all of my symptoms. I got Imuran (and steroids) and it made my body a lot better and stopped the downward spiral of my nervous system health (ME symptoms). I am still disabled due to symptoms (extreme fatigue) from the nervous system. Although my recovery speed after nervous system exhaustion has improved considerably. (I think prolonged recovery time is the specific sign of ME/CFS.)

Gingergrrl

I had a doctor mention Imuran as a possibility for me but then I ended up not continuing treatment with him. All other doctors that I see felt that immuno- suppressants were not the right starting point for me and that IVIG was the better choice (so this is what I am doing to hopefully modulate my immune system and reduce/replace the autoantibodies). My next step would be RTX vs. Imuran and I'd be afraid to wipe out my whole immune system (but I know we each have different diagnoses and risk factors). But I am curious and will follow this thread!