The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Any investigation of post-exertion malaise?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by pcmenten, Mar 31, 2017.

1. pcmenten

pcmenten

Vancouver, WA
    Just curious. Now that ME/CFS is recognized as having a physiological cause, I'm wondering what has been done to better characterize the causes of PEM. Seems like measuring the various symptoms might suggest a cause.

2. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member

USA
    From Dr. Lapp's summary of the 12th IACFS/ME conference (http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=30095):

3. Wishful

Wishful Senior Member

That study sounds a bit flakey to me. Those seem to be very minor differences measured. Maybe it's real, but maybe it's just a side-effect of not having the mental energy to do the exercises properly. I probably use my muscles less efficiently while experiencing PEM just because I'm ignoring the feedback from my muscles.

What I'd like to see is a complete profile of cytokines, kynurenines, mitochondrial function, and everything else measurable in serum--and more importantly--CSF.

4. RYO

RYO Senior Member

USA
    The NIH intra mural study on ME/CFS will closely examine PEM. You can read about details of study in other threads. There is also youtube video - SolveCFS webinar with Dr. Avindra Nath who is the principal investigator for the study.

Diwi9 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.