International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day Is On May 12, 2018
Thomas Hennessy, Jr., selected May 12th to be our international awareness day back in 1992. He knew that May 12th had also been the birthday of Florence Nightingale. She was the English army nurse who helped to found the Red Cross as well as the first school of nursing in the world.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Any investigation of post-exertion malaise?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by pcmenten, Mar 31, 2017.

1. pcmenten

pcmenten

Vancouver, WA
    Just curious. Now that ME/CFS is recognized as having a physiological cause, I'm wondering what has been done to better characterize the causes of PEM. Seems like measuring the various symptoms might suggest a cause.

2. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member

USA
    From Dr. Lapp's summary of the 12th IACFS/ME conference (http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=30095):

3. Wishful

Wishful Senior Member

That study sounds a bit flakey to me. Those seem to be very minor differences measured. Maybe it's real, but maybe it's just a side-effect of not having the mental energy to do the exercises properly. I probably use my muscles less efficiently while experiencing PEM just because I'm ignoring the feedback from my muscles.

What I'd like to see is a complete profile of cytokines, kynurenines, mitochondrial function, and everything else measurable in serum--and more importantly--CSF.

4. RYO

RYO Senior Member

USA
    The NIH intra mural study on ME/CFS will closely examine PEM. You can read about details of study in other threads. There is also youtube video - SolveCFS webinar with Dr. Avindra Nath who is the principal investigator for the study.

Diwi9 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.