1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Lessons from ME/CFS: Finding Meaning in the Suffering
If you're aware of my previous articles here at Phoenix Rising then it's pretty clear that I don't generally spend my time musing upon the philosophy of the disease. I find it better to spend my time reading research and trying my best to break it down to its core elements and write...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Any help with my 23andme methylation and detox results most appreciated

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by anniekim, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    What are "anti d's"? The BHMT variations tested by Yasko are meaningless, so it's unlikely they are causing anything. Some relevant ones are at http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/interesting-bhmt-and-bhmt2-variations.24512/

A gene can have hundreds or thousands of SNPs. 23andMe usually test for somewhere between a few and dozens per gene, though sometimes they test none and sometimes they test hundreds per gene. Each SNP can have an impact independent of other SNPs on that gene.

Sometimes +/+ means absolutely nothing at all, such as for the BHMT SNPs tested by Yasko. It's a symbol used by whoever is interpreting your results, indicating that they think it's a risk. To see if it is a risk, and what it's a risk of, it's necessary to read the research. +/- is usually completely meaningless, or just has a very tiny impact. Some missense mutations are an exception, such as MTHFR C677T.

In the case of COMT, research shows that V158M is only known to have an impact when homozygous (+/+), though it is a fairly substantial impact then. H62H also only has an impact when homozygous. So again, they're probably not having much of an impact, if any.
    anniekim likes this.
  2. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    You know, I went and compared my results to this list and I have 8 of those +/+ in your list - but I never went and looked up the ones I have. I did it again, thinking the results I had were yours, and then was awestruck that we could have the exact same mutations! (to be honest, one that initially read A? now reads GG, so I had some excuse.)
    Edit - now I looked them up. I can't find anything interesting on the following:
    rs11574115...T362I...G
    rs731236.....Taq1....G

rs7975232....Apa1....A
    rs2239179....A1064G..T
    rs886441.....C4004T..A
    rs3819545....T6046C..G (Association: blood pressure - but no pubmed articles)
    rs11168287...C8857T..GG
    rs7139166....G1520C..CC
    What am I doing wrong, in looking for what these mean.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  3. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    You have the common version of the first one. And it's got a "?" after it because it's merely rare, with no research regarding it (which is usually the case for rare mutations). There should be bucket loads of research regarding Taq1 and Apa1 all over the place. The rest I found either via dbSNP or google scholar. Here's my notes on what the research said, though I don't have links to the research itself:
    Taq1 T = lower 25 vitamin D, TT = less MS, augments VDR expression
    Apa1 C = lower 25 vitamin d, AA/AC = lower bone density, C = more dermatitis
    T6046C G = 1.58OR myopia, G = 1.24OR NHL
    C4004T .82OR per G - decreased NHL risk
    T6046C G = 1.58OR myopia, G = 1.24OR NHL
    C8857T GG = 1.27OR melanoma, -.6OR breast cancer
    G1520C CC = melanoma risk (+30%?), G = activity doubled with rs4516035 A

Typically a certain disease risk is associated with a up- or down-regulation, so figuring that out can help a lot. These are all probably fairly mild down-regulations, and might or not all be related (essentially one down-regulation instead of seven).
  4. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member

U.K
    Thanks @Valentijn and @Critterina for your help. I've had a bad ten days health wise so I haven't been on the forum much. Also I've never been good at science and that with being very poorly means I do find this whole subject very confusing and I feel very out of depth. I have appreciated both of your help. Many thanks
    L

See more popular forum discussions.