Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Any examples in the animal kingdom?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Skippa, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Skippa

Skippa Anti-BS

Is anyone aware of any syndromes in the animal kingdom that bear the hallmarks of ME/CFS type symptoms?

For example, "otherwise healthy" farm animals that simply refuse to be active or do farm animal stuff?

Or, I dunno, "healthy" hamsters that do that "I'm just gonna sit in the corner and die" thing associated with old age, except they aren't too old?

And what about wild animals... How would we even know?

Theodore, merylg, Effi and 1 other person like this.
  2. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    I guess that's the problem. A wildebeest with ME isn't going to last long. As for farm animals, I'm afraid 'modern' farming methods mean not many of them live long enough to get ME.

worldbackwards and Skippa like this.
  3. roller

roller wiggle jiggle

donkeys

4. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    Horses and dogs have been diagnosed with ME.

There is a documentary with Dr Anne Mackintyre that mentions ME in horses that was made in the 90s. (It is probably on youtube, but I am in a rush just now and don't have time to search for it.)

My dog was diagnosed with 'doggie ME' by the vet. She lost consciousness after her third booster vaccination and spent the next 14 years very poorly with ME-type symptoms and life-threatening allergies. Apparently, it is a known side effect of a third booster injection. If I had another dog, I would never allow the animal to have vaccinations after witnessing the miserable life my faithful companion had. She had relapses and partial remissions, so I tried my best to give her the best life I could when she was better, although I was mostly house/bed-confined, which actually suited her, especially as walking was not on either of our agendas.

Skippa, merylg, alex3619 and 2 others like this.
  5. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
  6. Raines

Raines Seize. Eggs. I don't know. Zebra. Eighties.

UK
  7. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
  8. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    The difference being is that farm animals are more valuable in dollar terms than people. Farm animals would get better testing for infections and treated with abx and im sure theres probably horse antivirals too.

SDSue, Skippa, merylg and 2 others like this.
  9. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Skippa and Countrygirl like this.
  10. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    I saw this program on tv about a vet, and I couldn't help thinking that a vet might be good at finding what is wrong with us, pwme. When an animal is clearly not feeling well, but the vet can't find what is wrong with it (and obviously can't ask what is wrong), he'll search on until he finds what is going wrong. He wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's all in the animal's head, cause that would be the same as just letting it die a slow death. A lot of animal illnesses are similar to human illnesses, so maybe we should all pay our local vet a visit, and see what comes out of it? ;)

SDSue, Skippa, sarah darwins and 3 others like this.
  11. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Such symptoms do appear to occur in animals. Like with humans we still are not sure what causes them, and we don't know how many diseases cause these symptoms. Obviously animal diagnoses are less reliable though because they cannot tell the vet what their full range of symptoms are. Not that human doctors always listen though.

redrachel76 and Skippa like this.
  12. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)

Wow. Why can't people drs understand this in humans.
    Dont see vets mentioning exercising their false illness beliefs away??

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    Skippa, Countrygirl, Effi and 2 others like this.
  13. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)

I bet its easier for a vet in australia to get viral titres tested compared with a dr trying to get this test for his patient.

Vet medicine isnt socialized so if u have the money its available otherwise it would be the cheapest testing done to get by???? Alot more animals would be put down if vet medicine was socialized. Struth! Hope i haven't given medicare any ideas????

minkeygirl and Effi like this.
  14. roller

roller wiggle jiggle

brilliant, @Effi ... as it isnt "in the sheeps head" they have to find the cause. and they do. its all down to parasites/pathogens.

psychiatry is one of the worst things ever happened to humans.

15. roller

roller wiggle jiggle

perhaps those for the body hard to handle infectious diseases started with drinking milk from animals? that could match with the farming.

this could also explain, why asians are "healthier", dont suffer that often from such diseases. they barely drink milk.

Skippa likes this.
  16. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

This would not be without its dangers. They might just have us all put down.

eafw, Skippa, Effi and 1 other person like this.
  17. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    I vaguely remember someone talking about this on PR, about getting a vet's opinion on blood tests and immune modulators? was it @lansbergen ?

sarah darwins likes this.
  18. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

As I said before I am pretty sure the causing agent is a zoonosis. The veterinarian field could not find it. They tried hard but failed.

Skippa, sarah darwins and Effi like this.
  19. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

Not me. I know they can not find it.

I discussed the immune modulator with several vets but they could not explain it either.

sarah darwins and Effi like this.
  20. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

Parasites take advantage of the situaion but in my opion are not the cause.

See more popular forum discussions.