• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Any examples in the animal kingdom?

Skippa

Anti-BS
Is anyone aware of any syndromes in the animal kingdom that bear the hallmarks of ME/CFS type symptoms?

For example, "otherwise healthy" farm animals that simply refuse to be active or do farm animal stuff?

Or, I dunno, "healthy" hamsters that do that "I'm just gonna sit in the corner and die" thing associated with old age, except they aren't too old?

And what about wild animals... How would we even know?

Countrygirl

Horses and dogs have been diagnosed with ME.

There is a documentary with Dr Anne Mackintyre that mentions ME in horses that was made in the 90s. (It is probably on youtube, but I am in a rush just now and don't have time to search for it.)

My dog was diagnosed with 'doggie ME' by the vet. She lost consciousness after her third booster vaccination and spent the next 14 years very poorly with ME-type symptoms and life-threatening allergies. Apparently, it is a known side effect of a third booster injection. If I had another dog, I would never allow the animal to have vaccinations after witnessing the miserable life my faithful companion had. She had relapses and partial remissions, so I tried my best to give her the best life I could when she was better, although I was mostly house/bed-confined, which actually suited her, especially as walking was not on either of our agendas.

Effi

The difference being is that farm animals are more valuable in dollar terms than people.
I saw this program on tv about a vet, and I couldn't help thinking that a vet might be good at finding what is wrong with us, pwme. When an animal is clearly not feeling well, but the vet can't find what is wrong with it (and obviously can't ask what is wrong), he'll search on until he finds what is going wrong. He wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's all in the animal's head, cause that would be the same as just letting it die a slow death. A lot of animal illnesses are similar to human illnesses, so maybe we should all pay our local vet a visit, and see what comes out of it? ;)

alex3619

Such symptoms do appear to occur in animals. Like with humans we still are not sure what causes them, and we don't know how many diseases cause these symptoms. Obviously animal diagnoses are less reliable though because they cannot tell the vet what their full range of symptoms are. Not that human doctors always listen though.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Last edited:

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Such symptoms do appear to occur in animals. Like with humans we still are not sure what causes them, and we don't know how many diseases cause these symptoms. Obviously animal diagnoses are less reliable though because they cannot tell the vet what their full range of symptoms are. Not that human doctors always listen though.

I bet its easier for a vet in australia to get viral titres tested compared with a dr trying to get this test for his patient.

Vet medicine isnt socialized so if u have the money its available otherwise it would be the cheapest testing done to get by???? Alot more animals would be put down if vet medicine was socialized. Struth! Hope i haven't given medicare any ideas????

roller

wiggle jiggle
perhaps those for the body hard to handle infectious diseases started with drinking milk from animals? that could match with the farming.

this could also explain, why asians are "healthier", dont suffer that often from such diseases. they barely drink milk.

lansbergen

how do they cure without knowing much of the immune modulator or genetics?

what if they are looking for symptoms and searching the blood (..) for parasites?

Parasites take advantage of the situaion but in my opion are not the cause.