1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

anxiety, food intolerances, cbs and sulfation

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by BFG, Jan 25, 2014.

1. BFG

BFG

Sacramento, CA
    Hi guys,

Lately I have been having pretty bad panic attacks and anxiety with increasing food
    intolerances to sulfury foods such as cruciferous veggies and eggs, and foods with high salicylate/phenol content. So I read around on the forums and on fdc/cutler book and forums and think this my be related to my high cysteine and cystathionine that was found on my Genova Nutreval test results and or sulfation issues. Andy Cutler says people with mercury with usually have high cysteine and will need to exclude high thiol foods and high sulfur people are usually low in sulfates. So does this mean the more sulfate in the urine the higher the sulfate in the blood?I am trying to understand how this all fits into my heterozygous CBS A360A, BHMT+/-
    and my transsulfuration pathway.

I don't know if I have an up regulation of cbs gene as my test results indicate otherwise: high cysteine, high cystathionine, low taurine, low b6, normal ammonia . Do these results mean a down regulation despite my CBS a360A +/-?

I have tried taking TMG and lecithin, but I felt really agitated and both of them made me feel wired and tired. Yucca made me feel awful. I have cut out foods high in thiol/cysteine, but my anxiety hasn't improved much. Can anyone help me try and figure this out? Very Much appreciated.

Would it make sense to try molybdenum and sulfates?
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  2. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    Hair testing can show if you are low on molybdenum. I have CBS mutation and on my hair test I was so deficient in molybdenum that my level was almost completely nil. Supplementation of molybdenum supplements for well over a year.. and Im still deficient in it. I still need it double what it is now to get within a low normal range.

I suggest to get more tests to help guide you. (taking molybdenum hugely helped my brain within first week of supplementation but hasnt helped anything else yet.. maybe cause Im still quite deficient).
  3. BFG

BFG

Sacramento, CA
    Taniaaust1 did you find molybdenum helpful for any symptoms?my molybdenum looks to be in the normal range, but i think i read somewhere that hair was not a good indicator for moly in tissues.

I have had many tests done, but cant seem to find a doctor who knows how to treat. If anyone wants to comment on my hair test it is uploaded here and is hair test 904.
    http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/hairtest/hairtest3/

Nutreval and stool test done last yesr here
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...nd-2100-gi-effects-results.24206/#post-370936
  4. Violeta

Violeta Senior Member

Have you read the thread about the same topic by soulfeast? Especially valuable is Vegas' post.
  5. Star-Anise

Star-Anise Senior Member

Hi @BFG
    You can read about my success with Yasko's CSB protocol on this forum, perhaps you have already found it..
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/cbs-success.23257/
    The CBS protocol is a controversial one, as some people do not experience the same success as I did, and the CBS gene is hotly debated as to whether it even causes the problems that Yasko claims it does.
    I was getting agitation from similar foods as you, and it did not decrease at all, until I followed this protocol. As well I had my amalgam fillings removed by a mercury safe dentist last year. I am not sure about my cysteine levels & I have not tested my urine, as I have experienced progressively more positive symptoms as I go along & don't want to overly complicate my world. I was never one to love high-sulphur foods anyhow. I do eat meat, and more accurately follow a low-thiol diet.

I have never tried TMG, but lecithin does the same thing to me.

Same. I think people that have weak adrenals respond this way. My theory is that this is due to the natural saponins in Yucca being steroidal & if you are sensitive to steroids, which I became at my current stage of adrenal healing, you can have that response.

I would try a series of charcoal flushes. See my phoenix rising link above for more information, along with keeping the low thiol diet. You may have to look at cutting back meat temporarily.

And yes, I would start on the molybdenum and the manganese that Yasko recommends. Try one at a time though, as I did find I had to work up to taking both at once.

As well I found that the oral molybdenum works much better to avoid the anxiety response then the liquid form. I'm not sure if it is the molybdenum itself or the other preservatives such as citric acid & lactic acid that cause my anxiety, but I recently tried a liquid molybdenum & what an anxiety trip that brought me on, lol ;) I use this brand of molybdenum:
    http://newrootsherbal.com/product/id/846
    I have read that it is important to ensure you are using the rice-chelated one.

I would't be discouraged if you do not have extremely positive results right away, but I would expect that you would notice some slower positive results over a longer period of time, i.e. 6 weeks, if this isn't the case, and nothing is noticed when following the protocol (charcoal flushes + low thiol diet - with potential meat exclusion + supportive supplements) then I question whether CBS is your problem or not. In that case, I would look to leaky gut & food sensitivities, or increased histamine as being potential factors in your increasing food sensitivities.

Hope that helps,
    S
  6. BFG

BFG

Sacramento, CA
    @Violeta thanks I did read it and learned a lot, but am a little more confused.

@Star-Anise thank you for sharing your experience and encouraging to hear of your sucess. I think I will try the charcoal flushes and I have some molybdenum on the way, but I cannot tolerate magnesium because it makes me really fatigued. I think I also have adrenal problems, have you found anything to help with that?
  7. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    @BFG, I've found adrenal glandulars to be very helpful. I started them at a time when I could no longer process the other adrenal support things I'd been using. The glandular seems to add what I need directly, without the need to convert anything. Since getting my methylation working, I've been able to reduce from twice a day to once only. I use Enzymatic Therapies Adrenergize from iherb. cheers, ahmo
  8. musicchick581

musicchick581 Senior Member

@BFG Ditto to panic/anxiety/food intolerances for years though...CBS same as yours...CBS360A +/- but BHMT 8 +/+. Urine sulfate is >800. Doc has me on NAC but my multi has molybdenum. Tried DMG but it revved me up. Very confused what to do. Can't take out meat because I feel better on it. Have LPR reflux too so sensitive to acidic foods. Currently eating low acid, low histamine. Adding low sulfur too would just stink.
  9. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

@musicchick581 Low sulfur might stink, but it would be worth a trial...1-3 days, to see if your anxiety shifts. My only green veggies at present are lettuce in juice and zucchini. Most others are high thiol it seems.:( But the good news is that after 3 months intensive detoxxing, today I self-tested for lower dose of Yasko's CBS RNA formula. So change does happen. Following up on copper as suggested in the other thread is a good direction. I'm at the end of my bright ideas re finding the source of your anxiety:bang-head: There are a number of supp suggestions on the following thread. The one that I took away from it was adding arginine to my already long list of amino supps. Best to you, ahmo

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...nxiety-symptoms-with-three-supplements.18369/
    Star-Anise likes this.
  10. musicchick581

musicchick581 Senior Member

@ahmo Thank you. I really appreciate your response. I'm getting more frustrated the more research I do and feel so misguided. I want my doctor to do more and feel like I just don't know what to do.

I'm going to take your advice to go low sulfur for 3 days while testing with the sulfate strips a couple times a day. I need to stop the NAC then. I actually felt amazing after carrots and celery with sunflower seed butter tonight.

How long are you going low sulfur? Just until your levels drop or will you continue it forever? Did you have your copper tested?

I will check out your link. Thank you again!
  11. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

@musicchick581 I'll stay low sulfur at least until my body signals enough of this intensive detox period. I tolerate chlorella, which is high, but it's the only thing I take. Don't know how long this will be, but I've been low thiol for nealy 2 years now. My hair test shows normal copper, but I think it had been high recently. I just continue on with my detox procedures, which includes high Z, Se, Mang, which all help drive the other metals out. I've had to radically rearrange my head, I no longer look at anything in my diet or practice as temporary. For now, it's all there is. Mostly this is just fine. but I've had a couple years to adjust to this minimalist diet and lifestyle. Best to you, ahmo
    Star-Anise likes this.
  12. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Hi BFG,

DbKita is very educated re the CBS mutations. Here's a link to one of her posts:
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/cbs-protocol.22905/#post-350832

I too have big issues with sals/phenols, but am wondering if a more simple solution might be trying some b6 and magnesium to help the sulfation pathway? Kurt -- a longtime member of these forums -- got rid of his anxiety in 2 days by doing just that (after starting with methylb12 and vitamin C). I was too chicken to try it back in 2011 as I thought I was getting neuropathy from b6, but after looking at my diary from then… the neuropathy could have come from many other things. Note that Kurt used b6 and not p5p:

http://kurtsprotocol.blogspot.com/2010/11/multi-b12-protocol-that-works.htmlHope this might help. :)

See more popular forum discussions.