• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anxiety, Ammonia, and the NMDA Receptor

end

@heapsreal our mutual friend(who I believe you met up with recently)relayed to me that you also get a little itchy after taking the yucca, is that true???

I have also asked @Gestalt (our resident yucca junkie) :) about this strange side effect

end

Can yucca cause any side effects? I'm taking so many supplements and have a lot of health issues that it's hard to tell what's causing what. I think I experienced a similar side effect from a supplement that had plant sterols so I thought they were affecting my hormones because I read something about both supplements.

@Lotus97

Myself and others note a slight dermal reaction(itching)after a yucca dose

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
@heapsreal our mutual friend(who I believe you met up with recently)relayed to me that you also get a little itchy after taking the yucca, is that true???

I have also asked @Gestalt (our resident yucca junkie) :) about this strange side effect

yes some itchiness, no rash but its not until the day after.

what else have u found useful for ammonia which also helps sleep? thinking of trying ornithine as i have read where a few have said they slept better on it too.

I was really suprised by how well i slept with the yucca and also waking up feeling somewhat refreshed instead of feeling like i have had a big night on the grog.

end

I get that same reaction. I have heard about Ornithine but from what I have read I believe Ornithine converts the ammonia into Glutamate, which is sort of counterproductive?

Can anyone confirm or deni that

RS is the next supplement I will try in combination with B.Infantis as @Vegas describes the benefit as to ammonia removal. However of course there are always exceptions to the rule :)

shah78

@end Just a quick caveat. If you have ammonia "issues", and need to use yucca, you probably have sulphur :issues", and thus you may find NAC contr-indicated. Just my 2 cents.. Good luck.

end

@shah78

I find NAC via IV or in capsule form not to cause any problems or any benefit. Would "sulphur issue's" mean that Glutathione would also be counter productive as well???

Gondwanaland

Bob's Red Mill Potato Starch does not contain Solanine. It has been specially processed with cold water to remove it.
I have tried a locally produced PS which is guaranteed by the local Paleo community is just as good as BRM's. Nevertheless my body reacts to it as if it were gluten (aches everywhere). Do you think I should try it again with a little psyllium added?

Gestalt

I have tried a locally produced PS which is guaranteed by the local Paleo community is just as good as BRM's. Nevertheless my body reacts to it as if it were gluten (aches everywhere). Do you think I should try it again with a little psyllium added?

Are the aches in the joints or the muscles?

Gondwanaland

@Gestalt I'm actually not sure if muscles, bones or vascular, or all of these
When I wake up it feels like I have been run over by a truck, my upper arms especially hurt. I've started to get this sensation upon taking warfarin in 2011-2012, and it went away when I went gluten free. But now it's been on and off. Vitamin E helps with this pain, but not always. Could it be ammonia perhaps?

Gestalt

@Gestalt I'm actually not sure if muscles, bones or vascular, or all of these
When I wake up it feels like I have been run over by a truck, my upper arms especially hurt. I've started to get this sensation upon taking warfarin in 2011-2012, and it went away when I went gluten free. But now it's been on and off. Vitamin E helps with this pain, but not always. Could it be ammonia perhaps?

Take yucca to find out. If the symptoms go away it's likely ammonia, and you have a fungal/candida issue.

If the yucca dosen't work it could also be a sharp boost in serotnin from the RS, or even LPS excitoxicity from herx due to RS.

Gondwanaland

Take yucca to find out. If the symptoms go away it's likely ammonia, and you have a fungal/candida issue.

If the yucca dosen't work it could also be a sharp boost in serotnin from the RS, or even LPS excitoxicity from herx due to RS.
Thanks!
This pain is triggered by gluten cross-reactive foods (flax seeds, PS, etc), but not if I eat a small amount of potato. Tomatoes, OTOH, trigger joint pain.
This past week I had joint pain triggered by taking silymarin and psyllium husks - got constipated for several days - then threw up and had joint pain - the worse ever. Subsided by taking 600mcg mB12 sublingual drops.

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

@Gestalt what do you suggest instead of yucca (I won't be able to get a delivery before xmas)? Is L-Lysine a good option? Sodium bicarb? Activated charcoal (despite constipation)? Magnesium?

Last edited:
Gestalt - What dose/brand of Yucca do you recommend? Thanks in advance. EDIT - found the answer elsewhere in your postings.

Last edited: