1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Anxiety, Ammonia, and the NMDA Receptor

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by Hip, Dec 30, 2009.

1. end

end Senior Member

@heapsreal our mutual friend(who I believe you met up with recently)relayed to me that you also get a little itchy after taking the yucca, is that true???

I have also asked @Gestalt (our resident yucca junkie) :) about this strange side effect

Sammy and heapsreal like this.
  2. end

end Senior Member

@Lotus97

Myself and others note a slight dermal reaction(itching)after a yucca dose

Sammy likes this.
  3. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    yes some itchiness, no rash but its not until the day after.

what else have u found useful for ammonia which also helps sleep? thinking of trying ornithine as i have read where a few have said they slept better on it too.

I was really suprised by how well i slept with the yucca and also waking up feeling somewhat refreshed instead of feeling like i have had a big night on the grog.

Sammy, Gestalt and end like this.
  4. end

end Senior Member

I get that same reaction. I have heard about Ornithine but from what I have read I believe Ornithine converts the ammonia into Glutamate, which is sort of counterproductive?

Can anyone confirm or deni that

RS is the next supplement I will try in combination with B.Infantis as @Vegas describes the benefit as to ammonia removal. However of course there are always exceptions to the rule :)

Sammy and heapsreal like this.
  5. shah78

shah78 Senior Member

st pete , florida
    @end Just a quick caveat. If you have ammonia "issues", and need to use yucca, you probably have sulphur :issues", and thus you may find NAC contr-indicated. Just my 2 cents.. Good luck.

6. end

end Senior Member

@shah78

I find NAC via IV or in capsule form not to cause any problems or any benefit. Would "sulphur issue's" mean that Glutathione would also be counter productive as well???

7. shah78

shah78 Senior Member

st pete , florida
    Yes.. Glutathione would be a bummer. I would love to be able to take some of each!

8. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

South America
    I have tried a locally produced PS which is guaranteed by the local Paleo community is just as good as BRM's. Nevertheless my body reacts to it as if it were gluten (aches everywhere). Do you think I should try it again with a little psyllium added?

9. Gestalt

Gestalt Senior Member

Canada
    Are the aches in the joints or the muscles?

10. Gondwanaland

South America
    Muscles

11. Gondwanaland

South America
    @Gestalt I'm actually not sure if muscles, bones or vascular, or all of these
    When I wake up it feels like I have been run over by a truck, my upper arms especially hurt. I've started to get this sensation upon taking warfarin in 2011-2012, and it went away when I went gluten free. But now it's been on and off. Vitamin E helps with this pain, but not always. Could it be ammonia perhaps?

12. Gestalt

Gestalt Senior Member

Canada
    Take yucca to find out. If the symptoms go away it's likely ammonia, and you have a fungal/candida issue.

If the yucca dosen't work it could also be a sharp boost in serotnin from the RS, or even LPS excitoxicity from herx due to RS.

13. Gondwanaland

South America
    Thanks!
    This pain is triggered by gluten cross-reactive foods (flax seeds, PS, etc), but not if I eat a small amount of potato. Tomatoes, OTOH, trigger joint pain.
    This past week I had joint pain triggered by taking silymarin and psyllium husks - got constipated for several days - then threw up and had joint pain - the worse ever. Subsided by taking 600mcg mB12 sublingual drops.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  14. Gondwanaland

South America
    @Gestalt what do you suggest instead of yucca (I won't be able to get a delivery before xmas)? Is L-Lysine a good option? Sodium bicarb? Activated charcoal (despite constipation)? Magnesium?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  15. Gestalt

Gestalt Senior Member

Canada
    Activated charcoal will probably work the best of all of those. Nothing compares to yucca though.

Gondwanaland likes this.
  16. mangos21

mangos21

Gestalt - What dose/brand of Yucca do you recommend? Thanks in advance. EDIT - found the answer elsewhere in your postings.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014

See more popular forum discussions.